Stop duplicated layers appearing in already-existing viewports

line-weight

Question

I often duplicate a layer, usually if I want to use the duplicate layer to explore an alternative design option without losing the previous version.

What's a bit annoying is that when you do this, that new layer shows up in any existing viewports that have the original layer visible. I then have to go through each of these viewports manually and switch off the duplicate layer.

Would it be possible to have a "do not set duplicate layer as visible in existing viewports" option?

The same applies to Saved Views. And I think it also happens when you duplicate a class.

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

The fastest way to currently deal with this is to right click the duplicated Layer (or Class) and select "Visibilities." Then holding Alt, click on the Invisible columns to quickly turn it off in all existing Viewports and Saved Views.

Ah, thanks - took me a little while to work out how to do this, maybe you are on PC and I am on mac, I have to select "visibilities" at the top RH of the layer control dialogue. But it then works as you describe.

This is a useful tip, just have to remember to do it immediately after doing the duplication and before creating any new viewports.

Yeah, you're right about having to remember to do it. In the moment, these sorts of technicalities usually aren't at the forefront of one's mind. 

If you right click a Layer/Class in the Navigation Palette, it SHOULD take you to the Organization dialogue box with the Visibilities button already selected. If not, that's a bug.

Unless perhaps you have Fundamentals (no Nav Palette) or were using the Organization dialogue box in the first place, in which case, yes, just switch to the Visibilities view in the upper RH corner.

If we are moving to a modal dialog box anyway, then we should go all in and include all the options we would like to have.

Duplicate Layer Content (check box. If true then content is duplicated otherwise just the layer with attributes)

Edit Properties After Creation (same as current for new layer and classes.This would also allow you to change the name rather than having to go back and Edit or Rename)

Visibility Setting in Existing Viewports (not going to be perfect. You will almost always want it to show in some VPs and not in others, but if you only want it in one, better to edit that one than to have to edit 50 others).

Saved View Visibility Settings.

What else should be there?

@JimWcan you move this to the wishlist?

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

If we are moving to a modal dialog box anyway, then we should go all in and include all the options we would like to have.

Duplicate Layer Content (check box. If true then content is duplicated otherwise just the layer with attributes)

Edit Properties After Creation (same as current for new layer and classes.This would also allow you to change the name rather than having to go back and Edit or Rename)

Visibility Setting in Existing Viewports (not going to be perfect. You will almost always want it to show in some VPs and not in others, but if you only want it in one, better to edit that one than to have to edit 50 others).

Saved View Visibility Settings.

What else should be there?

@JimWcan you move this to the wishlist?

Also, the interaction of project sharing and Layer creation could use some work.

The operation shouldn't fail and revert just because one of the affected sheets/Viewports is currently checked out.

I note that if I Duplicate a Class, & there are items that already "live" in that Class I will get duplicates of those Class dwellers. I'd like to add to this thread the ability to have the choice of "Duplicate & Copy a Class" (& all of the contents & all that entails) or  "Duplicate an empty Copy of a Class"

12 hours ago, michaelk said:

I see exactly the opposite.  Duplicating a class only duplicates the class (the new class has the same VP visibility settings as the original class).  But objects with that class assignment don't get duplicated into the new class.

mk

Same here.

Might be useful to have the ability to duplicate a class and have all objects with that assignment duplicated and copied into the new class though.

Edited by line-weight