Pyrotechnic

Create a symbol that changes by class

I am using VW Architect 2015 on a PC. Can I create a symbol that will change the fill color to the color of the class I assign it to? I know I can do this in autoCAD but not sure how to do it in vectorworks. Thanks

Yes. Create a Class, make sure that Use at Creation is Checked/On. Assign the entire Symbol (and perhaps all of it's parts) to that Class. Voila!

PS: Please update your signature. It still says VW2008.

I am actually trying to make it so I can place the same symbol twice, but have the fill color different on each one. I would make one symbol class A and the other class B, with the class fills set to different colors. Hopefully this makes sense.

Yes, you've got the right idea. If the Symbol is complex (has a lot of objects in it) then it might be more efficient to simply make a (newly named) duplicate of the Symbol and then control the color within the Symbol itself. Without seeing the exact thing you're after it's difficult to give further guidance.

I hope Peter can help us out, but I don't think what you are asking for is possible. As far as I know, there is not option to make components in a symbol definition take on the class of the symbol which is what you need.

In some cases where having all of the symbol instances change together is acceptable, you could put duplicates of the object in the symbol definition one with Class A the other with Class B. Then you could change the class visibility to get the one you needed.

It would be very nice to be able to have objects use the symbol definition class information.

Peter, am I forgetting something?

Pat

Hi Pat, no I think you're correct. But I'm sure there is a way (or six) to achieve what Pyro wants. Just not exactly this way. P

Peter's suggestion for separate, color differentiated symbols is probably best.

But for the desperate heave ho, heres a stupid workaround:

Duplicate the stuff in the symbol so it contains superimposed groups of the same objects. Assign each group to a separate color differentiated class. These can be actual Vectorworks Groups, or just duplicated objects.

Toggle the class visibilities to change the color in the symbol.

Color1 on, Color2 off

This works OK if its only intended for placing symbol instances and individually controlling color. One problem is that attention is required to prevent the duplicated parts from multiplying component count in worksheets. Another problem is if the symbol is complex or colored with textures, the duplicated objects can cause slow redraws & renders, z fights, etc.

Another path to this color control is to skip symbols and just use groups. (stupid workaround #2)

-B

Wish list:

A way to define elements of a symbol that take on the class of the symbol itself, land therefore it's attributes.

Note this is the inverse of the symbol placement option to always place a symbol on in certain class. (Stupid workaround #3 -build symbols to fall into the classes desired as to their color. This will at least guarantee the class/color relationship the OP desires.

Also if you wish to count the symbols or something, you can place a symbol within a symbol and so count, search or whatever for that. Just the colored part would need to be unique to the classed versions of the symbol.

So odd this hasnt been addressed yet. It works with WALLS, why not symbols?

So easy to move a wall from Wall-Main to Wall-Demo and viola, it's hatched in red?

Why cant I do the same with the water-heater?

Done - I was still searching for that to bump it. Not titled what I was searching for... thanks

Hi, I just came across the same problem and found this solution!  Lots of good info here.  Basically right click on the symbol in the resource browser and duplicate it.  Then rename it and then left click on the duplicated one and click on "edit" -> "symbol options" and then you can group the object and assign a class to it.  Now that symbol will change and the other one won't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSws9dDKLu4

No a shabby workaround. I still just dont want two or three copies of a symbol to have one on NEW, one on EXISTING, and one for DEMO.