VW for iPadOS, please 🙏

Question

15 answers to this question

5 hours ago, PenChiselCamera said:

The iPad is the perfect site and travel computer for architects. Except there's no real Vectorworks support. So I always have to lug a MacBook with me too.

Please, can we finally get Vectorworks for iPadOS.

Which will then cover visionPro by extension. 

3 hours ago, zoomer said:

I would rather vote for Apple finally bringing macOS to iPads.

I'd be surprised if this ever happens.  After all, so many of us buy both.  If an iPad ran MacOS many people would stop buying Macs.

• Administrator

We recognize the importance of making Vectorworks available on platforms like iPadOS to support and improve the mobility of our customers. While we currently don't have an iPad solution in our roadmap, significant barriers related to hardware and software requirements have posed challenges in this regard. Now, with advancements in Apple's M chip technology, there's potential for this to change in the future. I hope 🤞🏼not promising anything here. 

In the meantime, I want to highlight the Vectorworks Nomad App, which provides a solution for accessing Vectorworks files on mobile devices, as many of you already know. While I understand that Nomad does not fully address your request for iPad support, we're actively seeking ways to enhance its functionality. If you have any specific enhancements or features you'd like to see in Nomad or in our cloud offering to further improve mobility support, please don't hesitate to share your feedback with us. Your feedback helps us prioritize improvements and our solutions to meet your needs better.

Thank you again for your continued support. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PenChiselCamera said:

‘Thank you for this response. It is very much appreciated.

Regarding Nomad, the biggest issue is that it can’t open VW files. Exporting PDFs is of little utility as our current drawings will always be saved as PDFs already.

Even the ability to open native VW files, manipulate layer/class visibility and take measurements would be very useful. But ultimately we need a way to create, edit and collaborate on VW projects on mobile devices like iPads. 

Yes bring back blueprint (please tell me I'm not the only one old enough to remember that).

It was a stripped back version of minicad but could do all those sorts of mark-up tasks, and simple 2D drawings from memory could open and save MiniCad files directly.

That level of product as a starting point would be great. 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

For me at a minimum, it would be great to be able to open the .vwx file, filter through layers and then be able to add notes, comments and basic shapes that can then be reviewed back in the office. This would be useful for being on site or when you have that moment of creativity and want it noted on the plan. 

To use the full capabilities of vectorworks on an iPad would need ridiculous hardware and software. 

Edited by Ben Miura
  • Like 3
On 5/16/2024 at 12:07 AM, Ben Miura said:

For me at a minimum, it would be great to be able to open the .vwx file, filter through layers and then be able to add notes, comments and basic shapes that can then be reviewed back in the office. This would be useful for being on site or when you have that moment of creativity and want it noted on the plan. 

To use the full capabilities of vectorworks on an iPad would need ridiculous hardware and software. 

• Like 1
On 5/17/2024 at 6:15 PM, JuanP said:

I wanted to share some of the improvements coming to Vectorworks 2025 from our Cloud Team that may address some of your suggestions:

Cloud Document Viewer:

1. Vectorworks Cloud Services 2D viewer includes selected worksheets, sheet layers, viewport scale, and BIM data. Shareable with clients and collaborators, accessible on any web-enabled device. Users can measure or select objects and view associated info. Worksheets are scrollable, and all project info in the viewer is read-only.

2. This task introduces commenting on highlighted areas in the Vectorworks Cloud document viewer. Vectorworks now has a new Shared Document Comments web palette, enabling users to view and address comments directly within the desktop application.

View.png

Comments.png

Wow amazing. Would this be by browser or through an app? or both. If it was on the i pad it would make sense to incorporate this into nomad