Vectorworks Crashing

gangotti

Question

I just updated to 2024 v4 and now the software keeps crashing when I try to open a file.  I have restarted the computer several times even powering it off completly and letting it sit for a minute and still crashes when I open a file.  I was hoping this update would fix the issue with the settings box not resizing in the object info pallet, but this has made the software 100% unusable.  Is there a way to revert back to the previous version?

Beyond Frustrated at this point.

Not just in NZ, I'm in the States, and my Vectorworks is entirely down. Continually crashes, or after an incredibly long loading period, a file completely freezes. Yesterday, it would crash and shut down as soon as I opened the file. Completely uni-installed and re-installed from the portal, and the exact same thing happens. I just had the most embarrassing client meeting, as I was unable to show them any work.  I am running Windows 11 and have the program on two different machines; the same thing on both. 

On 3/13/2024 at 4:06 PM, AndyjBard said:

Hi Pete. Just a fui, that didnt work, thankfully I had a full VW24 sp2 install which i reinstalled and then updated back to 3.1 which is working fine. I'll just wait until I see news of sp4 being fixed or sp 5 coming out.

Cheers

Hi Andy, 

I installed AUS/NZ VW 24 SP4 yesterday, the VW 24 was not loading, then I used the updater to fix it, still no hope. 

I would like to ask how did you change back to SP3.1? 

Regards, 

Nap

16 hours ago, Peter Neufeld. said:

Hi @PNWPaulThe New Zealanders couldn't open the program at all but what you're experiencing is different. Please let us know if removing the GenerateImage.vlb from the plugin folder fixes the issue.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Removing that file did indeed fix the problem, and I was also given a revised file to replace it with. Thanks

• Love 1

@Peter Neufeld.

Not sure if you are able to assist, I seem to be having a different crash error based on the VW24 SP4 update.

I am using a Mac M3 Max with 128GB RAM, with MAC OS 14.4.

I never had these issues with SP3, which was working the night before the update.

Since the update, every time I will open VW SP4 it would open, It would not update my libraries, something about permissions. Then I would move the window to my external monitor, which would then go green, then my machine would crash & automatically restart.

This would happen a few times, same process as mentioned above.

I then un-installed everything (with Vectorworks uninstall) as all my libraries were gone & would not update. I downloaded a fresh version of the file, re-installed (hod to insert my serial) as all previous versions were uninstalled.

With doing this, my libraries now update, dont get the error I had before. However, I can only work on Vectorworks on my screen monitor. Every time I move VW to my external display, I get the green screen & my machine reboots after about 10 seconds.

I use VW on my laptop display, my external monitor is still plugged in & other applications work on that screen, however every time I move VW to that window, the same process happens.

VW does not see it as a crash, so not crash report, I cant do a screen recording as when I try the system does not save it as it reboots in the process.

Do you know where I can download a version of SP3 so I can work as I was before until a further update is released of SP4.

Thanks

On 3/13/2024 at 3:14 AM, Peter Neufeld. said:

This seems to be related to the Windows installer version for New Zealand users only.

We are working on a fix and sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Peter

Nope.

Using the UK version and am having the same problems.

Updated to sp4 and... I've spent the lest two hours trying to get some work done. Opening a file takes ages and I have to do that from Explorer, the VW UI is completely unresponsive. VW crashed part way through updating the library, after half an hour trying to download it.

I'm using Windows 11 Pro, 3kHz Intel i9, RTX 4080 and VW worked adequately yesterday*.

*for VW values of "adequately"

These are similar experiences to mine.  Have reloaded 3.1....happy camper.  Among other things related to above, the Home Screen was small and blank white.  Normal on startup.  I know because of the number of restarts.  I also did a second reload after the first uninstall.

My gut feeling.  I believe that Sonoma and VW's are integrated too closely.  Not so much an operating System, but a Symbiotic System.  This might account for the similar, but somewhat different crash/freeze experiences as each has different settings.  I was bringing forward a lot of 2022 files.  Better response with native 2024.

Also, the AI incorporation may have a hand in this.  I do love that technology though.

On 3/14/2024 at 7:44 AM, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

I have gone back to V3 which was stable.  I only kept V4 for an hour or so.  It was clear things were not the same.

I don't mind the teething process with VW's, but this was different.  Things froze quickly, but after the second freeze, my new Mac Laptop rebooted....on its own.

How did you go back to V3? I attempted to go back to SP3 or 3.1 via the Vectorworks Updater application. After downloading the updates, closing the updater app, then opening the update packages, which opens the updater app again, the progress bar just sits at 0. No progress regressing to previous SP

On 3/18/2024 at 7:48 AM, kevin.hayward said:

And...? How do revert to SP3.1, exactly? I have the update file on my HDD. What next?

I'm wondering what's next as well. I attempted to go back to SP3 or 3.1 via the Vectorworks Updater application. After downloading the updates, closing the updater app, then opening the update packages directly from Finder, which opens the updater app again, the progress bar just sits at 0. No progress regressing to previous SP

On 3/16/2024 at 5:53 PM, Peter Neufeld. said:

Hi @MacIntyr I'm sorry you're having these problems. Your current situation sounds very unusual. I think the best thing rather than out here in the forum is to go to the Customer Portal and click the support link at the top and fill out a Support Request Form. That way it'll be in the system with more eyes on it than possibly here.

Previous versions can be downloaded via the Vectorworks Updater>Advanced>Download Update. 

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter for pointing us toward how to actually see previous Updates to download. I was successful in downloading but not downgrading

Sadly,

I attempted to go back to SP3 or 3.1 via the Vectorworks Updater application. After downloading the updates, closing the updater app, then opening the update packages, which opens the updater app again, the progress bar just sits at 0. No progress regressing to previous SP

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Jacob@tangably.com,

Is there a specific reason you would want to downgrade to Update 3.1? Before making the move can you make sure troubleshooting steps provided here can solve your problem? 

Technically we do not support update 3.1 or older anymore and except from some issues that will be resolved as soon as possible to do with the GenerateImage.vlb file Update 4 should be great. Some new features as well as general improvements. 

28 minutes ago, Jacob@tangably.com said:

the progress bar just sits at 0. No progress regressing to previous SP

I did a reinstall for 3.1.  I noticed the progress bar was stuck on 11 % for the update....I thought.  I left it and it eventually completed it task, but the progress bar never changed from 11 % to complete.

• Like 1

It's been a struggle for a couple weeks with Vectorworks SP4, but when my best customers started to also report issues I had to find a solution ASAP. Thank you to everyone here that shared some guidance. I spent a whole day trying to get things to work. Ultimately the next morning when VWX support was open and available I reached out to them direct and they shared the trick to make this process easy. Not sure why they haven't shared the solution here on the forum. I hope that if you are experiencing similar roadblocks to your workflow the video below makes things easy for you. 

The Short of it:

"The only way to revert to an earlier update is through the Updater Application.

Close the Vectorworks Program completely>

While on a Mac, make sure that in your Apple System Settings under Privacy and Security > App Management that the Vectorworks 2024 Updater App (Specifically) is on this list and toggled on>

Go to Applications> Vectorworks 2024>

Launch the Updater App>

If you were already previously on Update 3 or Update 3.1 then you do not have the download the update again. All you would need to do to revert is click on Advanced Options>

While that drop down menu is open, hold down the Option Key>

Click on Change Version

Select the version you would like to revert to" - VWX Support

• Like 1