Constant crashing and computer freezing when zooming in or out.

Kevin K

Question

Ok...I have just about hit the wall....Mac / Sonoma 14.3 VW 2024 SP 3.1

This has been happening for several months now...

-computer freezes when zooming in or out....mostly when zooming in.

-force quit VW and usually need to reboot computer. Re-opening VW doesn't seem to help.

-So...VW problem or Mac problem....or maybe both ! 

Am I the only one having this issue? 

• Like 1

19 answers to this question

HI Kevin,

I am experiencing memory handling problems also with my new Laptop M# chip.  I only have the base config. 18 GB RAM.  I don't experience your problem, mine are all in Rendering.  

For example.  I know not to try to adjust a texture map scale with the slider.  Instant freeze.

Another example.  I know when memory is confused when the rendering window stops displaying the GI feedback and just spits the picture out a minute later.  No crash though, but do restart.

Another example.   in Rendering when I go to save as occasionally, the dialogue box is blank.  I can save and quit.

I don't know whether it is Sonoma, VW's or a combination of both.

• Like 1

Paul. man, you got me....I would not know where to start with all those issues. You don't want to hear this, but when you bought your new machine...probably should have plugged in more ram...with what we do, rendering especially, you need to just pack your machine with tons of ram and a really good video card..that much I do know.

Back to my issue....can't be totally sure, but I think the culprit was, believe it or not, DROPBOX!!!!  When I checked the activity monitor app, dropbox was using like 400 megs !! Have no idea why.  Since I disabled the app, until I really need it, I have not had the issue with computer locking up...go figure!  of course, it could be something totally different that was causing my issue.  We shall see...

• Like 2

HI Kevin,

I should have bought more RAM., but. did not see a need for it.  I don't really do that much any more, take on contracts in the winter etc., but 4K was hard enough to justify for a laptop.  

Having said that, I don't think it will be a problem once they figure out the Memory handling issue.   I have been mucking about with 750 MB RAM files and still no crash.  My main problems only happen in Texture Mapping and I am only doing that so I can understand what others are talking about.

The kind of work I have always been involved in always finishes in C4D.

7 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

HI Kevin,

I am experiencing memory handling problems also with my new Laptop M# chip.  I only have the base config. 18 GB RAM.  I don't experience your problem, mine are all in Rendering.  

For example.  I know not to try to adjust a texture map scale with the slider.  Instant freeze.

Another example.  I know when memory is confused when the rendering window stops displaying the GI feedback and just spits the picture out a minute later.  No crash though, but do restart.

Another example.   in Rendering when I go to save as occasionally, the dialogue box is blank.  I can save and quit.

I don't know whether it is Sonoma, VW's or a combination of both.

I am sure my experience is different because I am on a PC, but I know I can fully use 18GB  of RAM with both hands and one foot tied behind my back.  A lot of this is because I usually have a few different apps with heavy RAM usage open, but Vectorworks can take a pretty big bite of RAM all on its own.

20 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

I think the culprit was, believe it or not, DROPBOX!!!!

Now that you mention it, I had an issue with Backblaze.  I had to change from continuous to once a day online backup.  Activity Monitor helped me locate the issue.

Another RAM stealer is open browser tabs and windows.

3 minutes ago, jmcewen said:

but I know I can fully use 18GB  of RAM

it can, but Unified RAM is a different type of RAM.  Quite often I have no problem what so ever and then there is some action that screws up the memory handling.  It can be on a small file as well as a larger one, but larger is more problematic.

3 hours ago, E|FA said:

This is what trips me up. I am regularly searching McMaster fro DWGs and STPs of hardware, Amazon for elements to incorporate into designs, all while digging for a texture  to apply, then mining this forum for help and keeping Youtube open for a tutorial on a process i don't yet understand.  Chrome definitely chews RAM.  but the moment i close any tab is exactly the moment i need it again.

20 hours ago, E|FA said:

Indeed.

But I think this is something that Apple swaps to SSD first.

That is why you can you can work with lots of open Apps on a 8 GB Mac Mini.

It will just take a bit of time when you open such an orphaned browser tab

again when it needs to load back in to memory.

But unfortunately that will not work when a single App like VW needs more memory

than physically available. I will lag heavily and be no fun to use.

Interesting thread. I’m needing to replace my late 2016 MacBook Pro 16GB RAM due to a broken screen. Looking at M3Pro 18GB RAM/ unified memory and concerned it may not be enough and don’t know if in practice the unified memory helps access more RAM when needed occasionally - from the thread maybe not?

I’m not quite sure where I sit in the VW system requirements as mid-level or high-end so if anyone can draw any parallels or has a recommendation I’d appreciate it.

Currently running VW fundamentals 2017 on a perpetual licence. It does everything I need but isn’t supported in newer OS so I’ll need to upgrade to 2024 with a newer laptop.

I often have 8 VW tabs open, working on 2D only. Loads of chrome tabs open and photoshop. Works fine other than if I’m working on 280-400MB file photo realistic rendered sections where it gets quite laggy on zoom and pan. Activity monitor shows the memory is briefly amber zone under pressure doing that and VW can go unresponsive but never crashed. Whilst it seems unified memory should help with this, the system requirements seems to suggest you need even more memory than before with the silicon chips?

Is this something that will be sorted out with VW2024 updates or it just needs more RAM to work? It’s a big price jump on a tight budget and a wait to get the 32GB RAM so want to be sure its needed first.

• Like 1

The premise of Unified memory is that you need less, but it is unclear that is a true statement.  I think in principle the architecture is correct, but implementation may be problematic.  I am running a new Mac Laptop with 18 GB RAM.  It appears to be fine, currently working with a 300 GB file.  In retrospect I should have paid the extra 500 and went to 32 GB RAM, just to be safe.

RAM comes into play with Photoshop/Video editing more than 3D modelling/animation.  An older machine with tons of RAM can work just fine with Pshop, but slow with VW 2024.  

Photoshop = RAM

3D = processor.

The right mix of both is based on what each does.

6 hours ago, MavenC said:

I often have 8 VW tabs open, working on 2D only. Loads of chrome tabs open and photoshop. Works fine other than if I’m working on 280-400MB file photo realistic rendered sections where it gets quite laggy on zoom and pan. Activity monitor shows the memory is briefly amber zone under pressure doing that and VW can go unresponsive but never crashed. Whilst it seems unified memory should help with this, the system requirements seems to suggest you need even more memory than before with the silicon chips?

Tabs upon tabs and apps upon apps!  You sound like me. It is amazing how many chrome tabs we can deem necessary--or at least risky to abandon.

7 hours ago, MavenC said:

It’s a big price jump on a tight budget and a wait to get the 32GB RAM so want to be sure its needed first.

IF you typically wait 8 years to replace your laptop, spend the money and get the higher RAM.  While you might be able to get by with 18, I don't think you will enjoy it especially with lots of VW/Chrome tabs and PS open.

And even if it works today, in 4 years the memory demand of programs will probably be greater and you will be even less happy.

Get the higher RAM.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, jmcewen said:

Tabs upon tabs and apps upon apps!  You sound like me. It is amazing how many chrome tabs we can deem necessary--or at least risky to abandon.

Yes! I even have multiple windows of chrome for different themes! 😆 

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

IF you typically wait 8 years to replace your laptop, spend the money and get the higher RAM.  While you might be able to get by with 18, I don't think you will enjoy it especially with lots of VW/Chrome tabs and PS open.

And even if it works today, in 4 years the memory demand of programs will probably be greater and you will be even less happy.

Get the higher RAM.

Thanks for the reply Pat. Makes sense, it has just come at a bad time so I was probably hoping the lower spec would work. I don’t want to pay with years of frustration however!