Vectoworks 2024 very slow to open

Vectorworks 24 is taking a very long time to start for both my colleague and I...  I don't think it did when I first got it, neither does she - but now it takes ages, even when I open the program first before opening any particular file...

Is anyone else experiencing this, is it a known issue, has anyone got a fix? We've each tried to clear some space on our laptops, so they're not particularly near capacity, but it hasn't helped.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Amanda McDermott said:

Vectorworks 24 is taking a very long time to start for both my colleague and I...  I don't think it did when I first got it, neither does she - but now it takes ages, even when I open the program first before opening any particular file...

Is anyone else experiencing this, is it a known issue, has anyone got a fix? We've each tried to clear some space on our laptops, so they're not particularly near capacity, but it hasn't helped.

I have noticed the following when loading VW24:

• DebugMode is loaded and takes a very long time (why is this being loaded at all)
  • Revit Library takes a while to load (this may be OK)
  • Cineware takes the longest to load

I run an M1 Mac Studio Ultra with 128 GB memory and 1TB storage.

The load time is much slower than VW23. The most significant differences are above. I don't understand why DebugMode needs to be loaded at all. I do not have this in production, but your question is valid. 

If I get time, I may remove the DebugMode module to see what happens. I hope someone from VW will chime in.

• Like 2

I’ve barely even started to use Vw2024 — and I also noticed that it seemed to be opening much slower than Vw2023; I also noticed that Cineware takes forever to load.

I just marked it down to my relatively old MacBook Pro not having enough horsepower (specs in my signature). But it seems that my hardware might not be the issue here, if an M1 Studio Ultra w/128GB RAM is also slow to open Vw2024.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

I was mistaken. Even though Vw2024 felt slow to load, I used a stopwatch to time startup times from clicking on the app icon to the Vw Home page for both Vw2023 and Vw2024 and got the following.

Vw2023: 2m02sec

Vw2024: 1m26sec

So for me Vw2024 loaded 30 seconds faster than Vw2023.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Regarding the Cineware launch times, on macOS the first time after an install the OS will check security on all the files in the Cineware folder.  The "Loading Cineware" phase of launching will take awhile because there are many files to check, on my M1 Max 32GB it takes about 15-20 seconds.  This happens for each new install location.  2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc launches should be much faster for the "Loading Cineware" step; for me 3-5 seconds.  If you are seeing it always slow that is unexpected.

Removing DebugModule from Plug-ins made a big difference in start-up time. I don't know the long-term impact of removing DebugModule, but I worked on a project for a few hours, and I had no problems. On macOS I moved it from the Plug-ins folder to the may VW2024 folder. 

• Like 2
On 10/7/2023 at 6:01 PM, RonMan said:

Removing DebugModule from Plug-ins made a big difference in start-up time. I don't know the long-term impact of removing DebugModule, but I worked on a project for a few hours, and I had no problems. On macOS I moved it from the Plug-ins folder to the may VW2024 folder. 

Tempted to try this - can anyone from Vwx advise on whether this is a good idea?! @Katarina Ollikainen?

12 hours ago, Amanda McDermott said:

Tempted to try this - can anyone from Vwx advise on whether this is a good idea?!

The DebugModule plugin is a set of tools for third-party development. It has no effect on the features of the application. Vectorworks would work ok without it, unless you want to enable the dev features, from the Partner Install menu.

I would rather get to the bottom of why this is a problem, than to advise everyone to delete it. We'll look at what's going on with this.

• Like 2

@RonMan I'm trying to reproduce this this, but I don't even see the DebugModule show up when loading, let alone be slow to load. For me it's only Cineware that takes a couple of seconds. Do you still see this? Have you tried what Dave said, run it couple of times and quit it. Does the load speed change?

I have looked at DebugModule loading on my M1 Ultra Mac Studio and M2 MacBook Air. I can see DebugModule loading when it is in the Plug-ins folder. If I move it out of the Plug-ins folder (not deleting), DebugModule does not load. I can move the module in and out of the Plug-in folder and see it on either system. I can screen-record if that will help

Cineware takes a long time on both systems.

@RonMan do you mind trying to delete the file /tmp/DebugModule_5.txt from your machine, and try running again with the Debut Module in?

You can go there by opening a finder window, then from the menu Go -> Go to Folder..., then type /tmp, the folder will open and there should be a file DebugModule_5.txt.

Is there? If yes, delete it and try again. Close Vectorworks and run it again. This file is used to cash flags and optimize the DebugModule, so it doesn't do extra work on startup. So you'll see it show up, and then it should be faster, if that's the reason.

Note, please don't rely on the Splash screen, it's not necessarily synced to what's actually happening. The real test is to remove the DebugModule plugin from the Plugins folder, and see it becoming faster.

Thank you for you testing!

7 hours ago, Vlado said:

@RonMan do you mind trying to delete the file /tmp/DebugModule_5.txt from your machine, and try running again with the Debut Module in?

You can go there by opening a finder window, then from the menu Go -> Go to Folder..., then type /tmp, the folder will open and there should be a file DebugModule_5.txt.

Is there? If yes, delete it and try again. Close Vectorworks and run it again. This file is used to cash flags and optimize the DebugModule, so it doesn't do extra work on startup. So you'll see it show up, and then it should be faster, if that's the reason.

Note, please don't rely on the Splash screen, it's not necessarily synced to what's actually happening. The real test is to remove the DebugModule plugin from the Plugins folder, and see it becoming faster.

Thank you for you testing!

The DebugModule_5.txt file is not present in my /tmp folder. I put DebugModule back in Plug-in Folder. The load paused for over 30 seconds to load it. I removed it by putting it in the main. VW24 folder. I then flushed the VW24 cache. The slow parts were Rivet and Cineware. The load was significantly faster without DebugModule. I will set up timed tests tomorrow and send you the results.

@Vlado/all, I had a helpful email from VSS to say that using workgroup libraries across a slow network could be affecting start up times. We have moved our workgroup to Dropbox rather than VPN, so that we are synced but each have a local copy, and hey presto, it has made a huge difference to start up times! Less than 1 minute now, loads better (NB. Working with Vlado on replacing the Debug module had already got it down to 2 or 3 min rather than 7) Thanks again for your help.

• Like 2

I'm having major delays after installing the service pack & even with the new 1.1 pack. Weird thing, after clicking the icon, either the short cut of program folder icon, it is taking 51.72 seconds before I see anything happening on my computer, then when seeing VW starting it them take a total of 2 minutes & 16 seconds to open fully.

VW2023 on this same computer starts to open immanently & takes 1 min, & 14 seconds to open fully.

I can not figure out why the delay of anything happening after clicking on the icon 

@Amanda McDermott @RonMan We've tracked down the slowness to the resource libraries load. It's not really plugin related, it's the loading of the resources DB.

@Dubman can you delete your user folder, make sure you save you old one so you don't lose something important? Do you see the delay again? If so, please send me the user log files (the VW User Log.txt and VW User Log Sent.txt -- let me know if you cannot find them) @Hugues see the post above.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi @Vlado, Happy New Year! Afraid I'm having issues again following update 2.1... super slow to start and has crashed a couple of times. I've replaced the debug module again, which I think has helped a bit - can you direct me to where to find the user folder to delete (after saving a copy) please, and I'll try your suggestion above?