Doors and Windows not Creating Holes in Walls

Anelisa

Question

Hi! 

I had created a model with windows and doors and it looked all fine. As soon as I section viewported this in order to draft on a sheet later, I have this situation. 

I have tried re-drawing and I keep getting this issue. I'm not understanding why this is happening.

I am using Vectorworks Design 2023 trial with MacOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Please help! 

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 3.01.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 3.02.06 PM.png

• Like 1

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 10/26/2022 at 6:04 PM, Anelisa said:

Hi! 

I had created a model with windows and doors and it looked all fine. As soon as I section viewported this in order to draft on a sheet later, I have this situation. 

I have tried re-drawing and I keep getting this issue. I'm not understanding why this is happening.

I am using Vectorworks Design 2023 trial with MacOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Please help! 

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 3.01.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 3.02.06 PM.png

Thank you for reporting this and my apologies for this issue.

This is another interesting thing to look at.  Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce this in my test file.  However, if you can reproduce the issue consistently, please do send me a file along with steps to reproduce.

NOTE: As I said in my earlier posts, this problem should go away with Vectorworks 2023 SP4.  The main reason I'm trying to reproduce this problem is so we can make sure whatever triggers this has no effect on anything else.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:58 PM, Matt Panzer said:

I noted your post in the bug report (VB-190588).

As I mentioned, this issue should go away with the next service pack.  However, please do keep us posted when you notice these issues.

Sad to say that I just had this happen again to me using SP4, so whatever fix was included in SP4 to correct this bug doesn't seem to have worked. 

Quitting Vw, reopening Vw and opening the file and moving the window 0,0 fixed the openings for me.

So at least that fix still works for me.

5 hours ago, rDesign said:

Sad to say that I just had this happen again to me using SP4, so whatever fix was included in SP4 to correct this bug doesn't seem to have worked. 

Quitting Vw, reopening Vw and opening the file and moving the window 0,0 fixed the openings for me.

So at least that fix still works for me.

Apologies for this issue still happening!  Since we have not been able to consistently reproduce the issue (with a file in a good state), there was no way to test the fix.

Everyone following this thread, please do post is you still experience this issue in 2023 SP4.  We want to make sure who's still seeing this in this version.

Does it count if it happened to me again twice today? (third time in two days since installing SP4).

For me it seems to gets triggered when I select a 2d/3d hybrid object hosted in a wall, and change the Z Off: in the OIP.

Edited by rDesign
Added another time today
39 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Happened again after changing the height of a Data Communication object hosted in a Wall...

@rDesign, Are you able to reproduce this after you bring the holes back?  I believe something else may quietly causing the issue but it doesn't reveal itself until the wall resets.  In any case, keep posting about these issues and if you can consistently reproduce the issue after getting the holes back, that will be key in us getting to the bottom of this.  Fixing this is a very high priority for us but it's basically poking in the dark until we can come up with a reproducible case.

Since your last post, I've tried reproducing the issue with Electrical Outlets and Data Communication objects.  So far, I haven't been able to.

4 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

@rDesign, Are you able to reproduce this after you bring the holes back?  I believe something else may quietly causing the issue but it doesn't reveal itself until the wall resets.  In any case, keep posting about these issues and if you can consistently reproduce the issue after getting the holes back, that will be key in us getting to the bottom of this.  Fixing this is a very high priority for us but it's basically poking in the dark until we can come up with a reproducible case.

Since your last post, I've tried reproducing the issue with Electrical Outlets and Data Communication objects.  So far, I haven't been able to.

No. Unfortunately it does not happen every time I move an object hosted in the Wall. When it happened again earlier today, I had been working in the file for several hours before it happened. But today I was doing things other than moving objects in walls, which still feels like is what triggers it.

The next time it happens I’ll try to see if I can trigger it after bringing the window holes back.

Edited by rDesign

I've just experienced some walls losing their holes when I tried to replace the wall style.

They would also lose the holes if I copy-pasted them into an empty file.

Also, if I did a 0,0 move on them.

This is in VW2023 SP4

I did an undo to get the wall holes back, closed the file, quitted VW, restarted and re-opened and the problem seems to have disappeared.

• Like 1

ugh - having this problem too!!! trying the fixes - but nothing is fixing it - doors that were in walls disassociate - turn red when I'm hovering with the door/window - but will not sit in the wall - 

so I drew a new wall - to see if its the door or the wall - same door goes in new wall ok - - and now 2nd door automatically cuts an opening the first wall - when there is only one door in it - neither wall will have both an opening (cased open door) and a door in it- have to use two separate walls - now to figure out a hack for the door on the bottom right which has popped out of its wall - wow - what a slow down and aggravation - 

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 3.09.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 3.10.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 3.10.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 3.11.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 3.11.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 3.11.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 3.12.20 PM.png

27 minutes ago, E|FA said:

I finally got hit by this one too.  Video attached.  I also tried duplicating the original opening and moving it in the wall, with similar results.

@Matt Panzer let me know if you want me to send you the file. VW & System info in my signature is current.

Can you reproduce this problem after restarting Vectorworks?

If so, please do send me the file with steps to reproduce it.

2 hours ago, E|FA said:

Problem occurs even after VW restart.  I sent you the file.  Fell free to reach out via DM for screen share if it will help.

After you restart Vw, if you select the affected door or window and move it 0,0 -- the openings do not regenerate and correctly cut their openings?

When this has happened to me, I have found that usually will fix the problem for me (if only temporarily). 

Unfortunately, after reading this thread, I was hoping for some good news, but this bug happens to me ALL the time. It occurs in every project I work on, regardless of the computer or version of Vectorworks I use, and has been doing so since 2022. This issue reoccurs over and over and no one from tech support has been able to help. 

The only solutions I have found that seem to fix this problem involve deleting all the wall peaks under AEC, or trying to manipulate the wall in some way. This could mean moving the wall, connecting another wall to it, or copying the wall into another blank file and then back again. I sometimes also try saving the file as an older version and then reopening it in the latest software. The updating process seems to rectify the issues. These methods have proven helpful, but this bug is extremely irritating and consumes a lot of my time trying to rectify it. Consequently, I often end up on these forums, searching for answers. I would really appreciate it if this issue could be fixed.

• Like 1

So, I was having this issue for a bit, and I apologize if this answer has been given before, but:

When you are attaching a door or a window to a wall, make sure you your not just sticking it to the wall and are instead placing it into the wall. (Sounds similar I know, screwed me a bunch early)

The first will only highlight the wall in gray, the second will select the wall in red like truss when you attach a light to it.

(Also make sure your wall isn't locked, or it won't grab it)

Edited by SKelevra
17 hours ago, SKelevra said:

So, I was having this issue for a bit, and I apologize if this answer has been given before, but:

When you are attaching a door or a window to a wall, make sure you your not just sticking it to the wall and are instead placing it into the wall. (Sounds similar I know, screwed me a bunch early)

The first will only highlight the wall in gray, the second will select the wall in red like truss when you attach a light to it.

(Also make sure your wall isn't locked, or it won't grab it)

You're right that you have to make sure you are placing into the wall. However this is not the problem described in this thread. The problem is that doors & windows which have been placed properly into the wall suddenly lose their hole-cuts, for unknown reasons.

• Like 1

I understand that and believe you may have misunderstood the intention. 
The effect this has is the issue in the thread, so if for some reason they aren't connected, you will get this issue as a result. Be it from your initial connection or by some errer of removal. So it may not be this persons specific problem, but it IS a response to the problem.

46 minutes ago, SKelevra said:

I understand that and believe you may have misunderstood the intention. 
The effect this has is the issue in the thread, so if for some reason they aren't connected, you will get this issue as a result. Be it from your initial connection or by some errer of removal. So it may not be this persons specific problem, but it IS a response to the problem.

The problem that people are having, is that the door/window *is* inserted correctly in the wall, and it registers as such (if you select the door/window, its OIP will say "window in wall"). And yet the hole is not being cut.

In the scenario you describe, there would be a different result: if the door/window is selected it would not register as "window in wall" in its OIP.

But of course you are right, it's the first thing someone having this problem could check, just to make sure.

• Like 1