Glitch in Texture Maps

Matt Basher

Question

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Sometimes I will create a texture map and it will show up in the Resource Manager as a gradient. When I use the texture, and render in Shaded, the map shows up like the snapshot shows. 

This particular map, Wall Blue, is an old map that was displaying correctly. I recently edited it to a different color of blue, and it switched to this gradient glitch. 

Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 8.52.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 8.58.03 AM.png

10 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Basher said:

Sometimes I will create a texture map and it will show up in the Resource Manager as a gradient. When I use the texture, and render in Shaded, the map shows up like the snapshot shows. 

That is annoying ....

I thought that would only happen for imported C4D Materials.

Yes, as said it is any activated transparency.

And that gradient is used to display RM Thumbnails to show it is

something transparent.

AFAIK OpenGL/Shaded Mode will not user the real Material/Textures

but only the RM Preview.

Edited by zoomer
17 minutes ago, Basher said:

Note, I just unchecked the Reflectivity and Transparency boxes on the right and that fixed it. 

Is it common to have to turn those off if nothing is chosen in the selection on the left? This is a problem that started happening about 3 versions of VW ago, and I just now decided to ask the question...

When you make a texture from scratch, those options are deselected.

If you modify an existing texture, you just need to be sure the shaders are set to your needs.

(edit - misread your message, thought you were talking about the shaders, not the preview)

Here is the dialog box that pops up when I create a new texture from scratch.

Note, my units are set to decimal feet in this drawing, hence the tiny size values.

155213327_ScreenShot2022-09-22at11_50_16.thumb.png.08ea9f8c1370c08e6af36adff019064c.png

Edited by jeff prince

@Basher – If you're talking about the thumbnail in the Resource Manager, this is a bug that's been around for a couple years and unfortunately hasn't been addressed.

The bug occurs if you edit a texture while inside a Symbol (and perhaps other containers? can't remember). It also has something to do with the location of the symbol versus the document origin, but beyond that this bug is fairly predictable.

@Gunther I happen to know this bug is one you've entered into JIRA as VB-175705, as it was an offshoot of my VB-172583 which was 'fixed' but only solved the issue in the texture editing window but not the RM thumbnails. Any chance you could check in on this?

For now... to fix the issue, simply edit the Texture while not inside a Symbol and it should regenerate the thumbnail.

• Like 4