Christiaan

Data Tag says no eligible object is selected

Question

The Data Tag tool is doing my head in. I'm trying to tag walls using the default Wall Tag w Leader definition but no matter which mode I use it says 'no eligible object is selected' when I click on the wall. I've added a my text to the Mark field in the Data tab of my Wall Style. Is there something else I'm meant to be doing?

18 answers to this question

Check your insertion mode in the 4th mode group image.thumb.png.2697f2d9d5d4a0cbcbad79918f7077e3.png

The one on the left requires you to click to place the tag and then click on the wall. The one on the right requires you to click on the wall and then the location to place the tag.

Despite using the wall tag definition it doesn't think my walls are eligible objects for some reason.

I don't know why it is not accepting your wall. If you can upload the file somewhere I would be glad to take a look.

At least my version of the Wall Tag w Leader definitions shipped with VW2020 does not return the field you want. It defaults to the 

IFS Wall Standard Case, Wall Common, Reference Field, not the  IFC Wall Standard Case, Tag Field, so you will want to set up a custom Tag Style Definition once we figure out why the tag is not inserting.

Please try and insert a different Data Tag. Perhaps one of the Number Stamp styles that will accept any object as a target. I want to see if it is a problem with the Data Tag tool in general or just your tag.

If it does not work, please create a new blank file and put a single simple wall. Try inserting both Number Stamp and Wall Tag w Leader objects there.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I created a new blank file, pasted my wall across and then used the Wall Tag w Leader tag definition and it worked. Strange.

(Number Stamp sees my wall in the original file too)

Edited by Christiaan

Posted (edited)

Messaged you with a link to download the file Pat, thanks for taking a look.

Edited by Christiaan

I will keep playing as time permits today, but I am stumped right now.

In your file the Tag tool will not see any walls. If used in the From Tag mode, it will see other objects and ask if you want to attach the proper records to those object.

Copy your wall to a new blank file and it works fine.

Copy the wall back. Nothing works. 

Copy the wall back with tags attached and the pasted tag links are broken.

It feels like a corrupt file to me.

@Gunther Any other reports on tags not recognizing walls?

• Like 1

Closest report I found and I don't suspect the wall is inside a group?
Data tag: Cannot attach a data tag object to a wall or a door in wall if they are in a group

• Like 1

Nope definitely not in Group.  Both Styled and Unstyles walls are not being seen as tagable in a specific file.  Layer Options set to Show Snap Others. Class options set to Show Snap Modify others. Even with Layer Options set to Active Only and the wall selected the Tag tool does not recognize the wall as tagable.  Copy the wall into a blank file and it tags as expected.

I will leave it to @Christiaan to determine if he wants to submit the file as a bug or to tech support.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I looked the short video of Christiaan and I saw that the wall in his file has ifcWall. The default Wall Tag w Leader is looking for ifcWallStandardCase and this is the reason why his walls does not recognized by this data tag style. If you want to recognize both IFC, I recommend to use #AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#. I attached a simple file with modified style.

Best Regards,

Kostadin Ivanov

New Wall Tag w Leader.vwx

• Like 3

@KIvanov You are right. I did not notice that the IFC changed when the wall was pasted into a new blank file. In the original file it is ifcWall. In the blank file it is ifcWallStandardCase. When it was then copied and pasted back it again had ifdwall.

Not having the IFC record move with the object when pasted between files seems like a large potential trouble source to me. I think wall tags need a better error mode than just No Eligible Object is selected. Perhaps an option to indicate what record that is being looked for is missing?

Thanks for catching this.

@Christiaan let us know if you need help in editing the tag format to match how your walls are defined.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 7:40 AM, KIvanov said:

I looked the short video of Christiaan and I saw that the wall in his file has ifcWall. The default Wall Tag w Leader is looking for ifcWallStandardCase and this is the reason why his walls does not recognized by this data tag style. If you want to recognize both IFC, I recommend to use #AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#. I attached a simple file with modified style.

Well spotted, thanks Kostadin. It was just coincidental that I had the data tab open. Shall I submit a bug on this one?

On 1/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, Pat Stanford said:

@Christiaan let us know if you need help in editing the tag format to match how your walls are defined.

Thanks again Pat. I haven't managed to get Kostadin's altered tag to work in my file.

Do I need to edit my Wall Styles as well? Strange thing is IfcWall is checked for my wall instances in the data tab of OIP but the Wall Styles themselves are using IfcWallStandardCase. 

When I try to edit a wall instance by unchecking ifcWall it tells me the default entity can't be removed.

Either way altering my wall tag to use "#AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#" still didn't recognise my walls.

I don't actually understand where Kostadin's file is getting the EW-1 tags from either. Where is this data in the unstyled walls?

Edited by Christiaan

Odd. I seem to have fixed it by selecting a wall instance in my file, then clicking on the PredefinedType menu in the data tab of the OIP and selecting Standard. After that all walls are recognised by the tag.

Edit: unfortunately the above little fix doesn't translate over to my layer import workgroup reference file.

701625374_Screenshot2020-01-24at15_23_32.thumb.png.b0730139f4799aafcace24e5eba7fa6d.png

Edited by Christiaan

The actual permanent solution is to decide if you are using ifdwall or ifCWallStandardCase as the pSet for your file. Pick the one you want, set all the walls to that pSet and then edit the Tag to look for that record and you should be all set.

Or maybe you have to have Tags set up for each of the two pSets and make sure you choose the correct tag for the pSet in use.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Pick the one you want, set all the walls to that pSet

How do I actually do that? Do I set all the Wall Styles or all wall instances, or both? If I go to the IFC data in my Wall Styles it looks like they're already set to ifCWallStandardCase, but I'm not entirely sure what pSet is or how I change it.

I think I've worked out how to do it, which is to select groups of wall instances of the same Style and pSet, go to the data tab in the OIP and click on Attach IFC, then search and select ifcWallStandardCase

Problem is the tags configured as KIvanov suggested then go blank:

#AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#

Edited by Christiaan

Hi Christiaan,

Could you send me a test file and I will analyze it why the formula "#AnyIFCEntity#.#Pset_WallCommon#.#Reference#" does not work?

Thanks,
Kostadin