Jump to content
  • 4
Jonny S

Pop up data bar broken

Question

Hi,

 

When you are creating/moving a new object, the data bar pop up sometimes stops functioning?

 

E.g. If I draw a line, and then press tab to fill in the distance dimension, I can't type more than the first digit. I can tab between the angle, and other info boxes etc. But I can't enter more than one digit. I can't work out the scenario that is causing this, but I'll keep an eye out.

 

The only way to fix it is restarting VW, but it can happen quite frequently.

distance.PNG

Share this post


Link to post

19 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hi Jonny,

I would be helpful if you could add a forum signature to your profile detailing your system and the version of VW you are running. Click on your user name in the top right and look for it on the left side of the Account Settings page. This type of problem is likely to be system and version specific.

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

VW2018 Designer Renderworks

Windows 10 64 bit

 

We have 4 machines experiencing this issue, with slightly different specs. One with a 980, rather than 970 nvidia graphics card. I don't think it is spec related, just a buggy release.

 

I can use our 2017 version, but not great for the new guy who just joined us with 2018.

 

DxDiag.txt

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I am unable to replicate it here. I may be a Windows only bug since both of you are Windows users. Please click on Bug Submit at the bottom of the screen and file the bug.

Thanks,

 

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Out of curiosity, for any of you who are experiencing this, when you first ran 2018  what did you answer when you were asked about migrating from a previous version?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I was able to confirm this during the Summit on 2018 SP0 running on Windows 10, along with some other Floating Data Bar issues. Someone (possibly Patrick) beat me to filing them.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, NeilB said:

Out of curiosity, for any of you who are experiencing this, when you first ran 2018  what did you answer when you were asked about migrating from a previous version?

Neil, I migrated my 2017 workspace...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
11 hours ago, Patrick Fritsch said:

Neil, I migrated my 2017 workspace...

Patrick, when you say you migrated your workspace, did you do so by responding Yes to the actual migration question, or did you "migrate" it by another method? 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I, too, have experienced this exact issue, but it is not intermittent, and I use this feature ALL THE TIME.

 

I am using win 10, as well.  NeilB, are you suggesting that the automated migration process may affect the floating datum bar?  I used the automatic migration process (meaning I responded with a yes).

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

For all that have this problem, for now avoid using the Tape Measure tool, as it happens after the use of this tool on my system. VW are working on a fix.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Patrick Fritsch said:

For all that have this problem, for now avoid using the Tape Measure tool, as it happens after the use of this tool on my system. VW are working on a fix.

Does it only happen if you use it with another tool right after using the tape measure tool or also if you use some other tool first and then the tool where you experience the problem (i.e. it is persistent until e.g. a restart of vectorworks)?

I regularly use the tape measure tool and the data bar so this would be a bit of a headache if the problem is persistent after using the tape measure tool

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, Art V said:

Does it only happen if you use it with another tool right after using the tape measure tool or also if you use some other tool first and then the tool where you experience the problem (i.e. it is persistent until e.g. a restart of vectorworks)?

I regularly use the tape measure tool and the data bar so this would be a bit of a headache if the problem is persistent after using the tape measure tool

It is only persistent until you reboot VW

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

That is too bad it takes a restart of vectorworks to fix it, so hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Art V said:

Does it only happen if you use it with another tool right after using the tape measure tool or also if you use some other tool first and then the tool where you experience the problem (i.e. it is persistent until e.g. a restart of vectorworks)?

I regularly use the tape measure tool and the data bar so this would be a bit of a headache if the problem is persistent after using the tape measure tool

Ouch. Me too. The Tape measure tool is so useful to me that I give it it's own keystroke shortcut. 

But to be honest, even tho vwx 18 has been installed from the moment it was offered to Service Select members, after two attempts both ending in crashes, I have stopped using it till the first svc pack.

Yet again, not so pleased with the yearly cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This is a serious problem for the way I draw, I am forever needing to offset by a distance entered into the data bar, I have had to go back to 2017 to be at all productive, I know this bug has been submitted, when can we expect a fix?

I am using Windows 10 pro

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-09-23 at 8:03 AM, Marc Powell said:

I, too, have experienced this exact issue, but it is not intermittent, and I use this feature ALL THE TIME.

 

I am using win 10, as well.  NeilB, are you suggesting that the automated migration process may affect the floating datum bar?  I used the automatic migration process (meaning I responded with a yes).

@Marc Powell I'm not suggesting the automated Migration process is behind this floating data bar oddity per se. I was just curious since migration does "interact" with the interface to an extent, so I was looking for a possible connection. Migration doesn't seem to be at play so that's not a concern.

 

It does sound like the team at Vectorworks Inc is on top of this one so I'm sure a fix will come in the near future.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×