• Announcements

• JimW

How to use the Wishlist   09/21/2016

Create a new post here, stating both what you would like to see added to Vectorworks or it's supporting systems and web pages and why you would like that change made. If you see an idea you like, press the ^ arrow to the left of the post's title to promote that idea or feel free to comment on that idea with any additional considerations or concerns you may have. 
Andy Broomell

OpenGL Edges on Objects with Transparency

Question

I need OpenGL edges to appear on all objects, even if they're using a texture with transparency. Currently if the texture has any transparency the edges are no longer drawn.

This could be a checkbox if some users prefer the current functionality.

10 answers to this question

In the top image it's hard to tell there are floating glass panels in the foreground. In the bottom it's more apparent (the bottom image is a viewport with Hidden Line foreground render, but I want to have the lines in OpenGL so I can interactively use the Walkthrough tool on the Design Layer).

OpenGL.png

Yes.  Right.  I too would like to be able to see the edges of such textured items.

@Andy BroomellHi, would be nice to do automatically with glass if needed, but a way to do it is to set your texture to Overall Glass and sides something else and in this case I used Plastic semi gloss. See panel in centre, left all glass texture and picture of how it looks in real life.

HTH

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell

I don't want it to render any differently; I only want edge lines in OpenGL. But that's surely a workaround in some situations. :)

Here's another example - there are glass globes which are practically invisible in OpenGL. Would much prefer the bottom look, especially when using the Walkthrough tool and a 3DConnexion mouse to navigate a model interactively with a client or colleague.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-28-at-2.23.43-PM.jpg

Not quite the solution I need, but again, thank you for the suggestions. :) 

I guess my purpose in the original post was to eventually have a built-in solution for the edges rather than pursuing workarounds. In this case, for example, if I adjust the texture for OpenGL purposes then it won't render how I want it to; I want to leave the texture exactly as it is. There are a number of workarounds I can think of, but it's not the same as what the original request would achieve.

i agree to Andy  AND i would like to to be able to set linecolour to grey so it is visible on dark elements... i work arround this mith hidden line foregroundrender it would just make things easier...

( ps i like the Glas sheet trick  of Alan! i allways worked arround with a dublicate in place with no fill at all....)

Agreed! I would absolutely like this as an option in OpenGL settings. Request Submitted: VE-96212