rDesign

Improve Texture Mapping Capabilities (UV Mapping)

Question

I know it is a long-standing wishlist item, but I thought I would submit a new request to improve the poor texture mapping in Vw, partially due to lacking support for UV Texure Mapping.

A perfect example of the result of this missing functionality is demonstrated by the way that a Subdivision object has to be converted to a Generic Solid before it can be properly textured with an image-based texture. Of course, you lose all Subdivison functionality once you convert it to a Generic Solid.

A select list of objects that are currently hamstrung by the lack of proper texture (UV) mapping, I'm sure there are others:

• Subdivison Objects [slightly improved in 2017 for small-scale image texture materials]
  • Cabinet PIO
  • Door PIO
  • 3D plants with textures can't be scaled
  • Framing Objects
  • Meshes
  • NURBS Surfaces

Links to related threads regarding texturing limitations & UV mapping:

Subdivision Objects

Different colors on different surfaces of objects

Textures that scale automatically- Image Props do, 3D models don't, why?

Free XFrog Plants Too Big

Textures with grains

UV Mapping for Coolux Venue Site

Texture Mapping on Stretched NURBS Surfaces

Render Issues

Model UVW Mapping Question

Edge-banding Tool

Tip For Texture Mapping on Non-rectangular Object

Please Make Cabinets So That They Take Wood Textures Properly

[I was doing some further reading on mapping techniques for Pixar's OpenSubdiv (basis of Vw's Subdivison objects), and I came across Disney's Ptex open-source API as an easier mapping alternative to UV mapping.]

Edited by rDesign
Updated all links for new forum
  • Like 4

I think that's a good idea. Especially since actual, manual full-fat UV mapping where you rip apart objects into a splayed-out view and manually apply images and properties onto them and then bake them back into a model is most likely not something we would implement flat out, since it's practically it's own job description, but really a "Detailed and indepth solution for advanced texture mapping" is kind of the point. for instance, I think it was ArchiCAD that added a texture painter that let you select surfaces of objects and map texture to them separately from other faces on the same object, or something similar that seemed a good middle ground.

(EDIT: Or that Ptex thing mentioned in the original post, which looks really good, attached example video:)

• Like 2

Hello

I'm new here but this seemed the appropriate place for this question, apologies if not.

I'm just learning to use the cabinet/custom cabinets tool in 2017, which is generally very good but- is there a way to map textures to the cabinet fronts? I don't seem to be able to use the attribute mapping tool to move the texture into the position I want.

Thanks

@MFW- This is a long-standing issue; You cannot directly modify the texture mapping on Cabinet objects by using the attribute mapping tool on them. (It has been requested previously).

The way to do it is to create two identical Renderworks textures for the cabinet wood grain, one of which has been rotated 90 degrees. Then create two new Classes and assign each of those RW textures to their own Class. Depending on which direction the grain of the Cabinet component needs to run, you assign that class.

Take a look at this related thread about texture orientation in Door objects.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

Early days but I have not seen anything so far that addresses the main issue (for me anyway) for interior designers which is the ability to texture objects correctly. It was disappointing but not unsurprising that the promo video only applied a single colour to the Sub-D object (the big orange/yellow shiny what on earth is it object) as you cannot apply a pattern. Applying the single colour is a cover up for the deficiencies of the tool.

A shame but I am hopeful that I missed a lot that is in there for us and its only a matter of time before it comes to the surface. I am certainly looking forward to the new stair tool as the old one was a flipping nightmare (and texturing it was awful)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, barkest said:

Early days but I have not seen anything so far that addresses the main issue (for me anyway) for interior designers which is the ability to texture objects correctly.

No changes to that area this year. We wanted to focus more on existing systems that needed improvement this year and held off on introducing too very many new ones. However, this request is still in our sights.

10 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

No changes to that area this year. We wanted to focus more on existing systems that needed improvement this year and held off on introducing too very many new ones. However, this request is still in our sights.

Thank you for the reply.

This of course is an existing system that needs improvement. I apologise for beating this subject to death but in the UK VW is the most used tool for Interior Design and although I do not understand your company's inner workings I am sure you know much better than I do how to run you business. As an experienced render person you know that Lighting and Texturing can take a below average offering and make it look great. The converse is also true and the current methods are stone age in comparison to so many other products.

Thank you again

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barkest said:

This of course is an existing system that needs improvement.

I think we need to replace the current one completely, it's so far from being able to do the detail needed for advanced product modeling and interior design that I'm firmly in the Star Over camp. To be clear: I don't disagree with you, as the resident rendering fanatic on my team I'm first in line for requesting Renderworks upgrades.

When you mentioned during the teasers that not many new features would be released and that time was focused on fixing and implementing 2.0 versions of existing features, I had high hopes.   I'm not sure how basic texturing where free software trounces Vectorworks 25 year old+ implementation wouldn't fall into "We wanted to focus more on existing systems that needed improvement this year". 

Year after year, I just can't understand how this isn't a priority.   If Vectorworks is suppose to provide presentation worthy drawings, how can texture mapping, what ultimately covers every 3d object, not be deemed a priority.  after waiting decades, I have ultimately given up hope of ever seeing this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Altivec said:

after waiting decades, I have ultimately given up hope of ever seeing this. 

Having to create a separate plane to texture a stair landing is ridiculous. C4D is just as bad with BP and everyone over there is as equally confused as to why there have been no updates for years. In the meantime users have provided their own solutions. I have a few dollar plugin to do what BP does not do. The point is that if some guy in his bedroom can create a solution.........

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 12:03 PM, PVA - Jim said:

No improvement to texture mapping in Vw2020, so hopefully this request is still in their sights.