What are the top five or so improvements for architecture in v2024 over v2023?

Need to hear actual users' experiences, not website advertising.

I do not have time to beta test v2024. Already paid way too much for someone else's featuritus. All I need is steady, stable, quick, and bug-free.

So tell me, fellow architects and Vectorworks professionals, what do you find most compelling in version 2024 compared to version 2023?

None yet. I can't use it at the office. Still on 2023. Its unusable in current form.

They mucked up a lot of stuff involving file imports

They mucked up all the icons and user interface. Lord knows why. Solving problems that didnt exist instead of those we've been bitching about/

On 10/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, techdef said:

None yet. I can't use it at the office. Still on 2023. Its unusable in current form.

They mucked up a lot of stuff involving file imports

They mucked up all the icons and user interface. Lord knows why. Solving problems that didnt exist instead of those we've been bitching about/

I'm thinking to delete v2024 and install v2023 instead. There's just too much visibility lag right now. Simple things like going up/down layers, in/out of groups, zoom in / zoom out, are just undeveloped. I've tried turning OFF Accelerate Graphics. Same thing.

On 10/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, Jonathan Pickup said:

viewport styles, very useful

Railing tool, so cool and powerful

Fence tool, it now snaps to the site model

cabinet tool 

Yes those are good things, but they are except for viewports kind of side issues not things that make the program stand out.  I wonder what the things are the would make users happier.  I see the cabinet tool really complete, but it seems more a tool for a cabinet desinger than an architect.  Can material lists and cutting lists be created or exported to another program for that.   

21 minutes ago, Helm said:

Yes those are good things, but they are except for viewports kind of side issues not things that make the program stand out.  I wonder what the things are the would make users happier.  I see the cabinet tool really complete, but it seems more a tool for a cabinet desinger than an architect.  Can material lists and cutting lists be created or exported to another program for that.   

The new fit walls to roof makes me pretty happy. 

• Like 2

There are so many concern about the UI and the icons, but i think they have done a great job implementing svg rather than png. svg are vectorial and scalable this make also really easy make your own icons with illustrator without having resolution issues. 

We did not test yet the worksharing, we are going to do it soon, but it looks promising, if there are not anymore the issue that we have met in the previous version. 

We as architect include kitchen design in our new build contract and the cabinet tool is very helpful, we use often howdens and i appreciated that the company has given his catalog to VW, i liked also the previous version but this one is definetely better. Fence and railing as well very appreciated feature.

I would like having on the new version a professional MEP set for architect, just not 2D pipes, but services 3D pipes with fittings because we need to verify size of the voids without any clashes. It is quite hard to import always revit MEP without crashing all the projects.

30 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

I made a youtube movie showing this: 

Ok I see what this is now. It's not Fit Walls to Objects as such, it's more that the Roof automatically clips the Walls on creation. But I found that I couldn't get rid of it when I wanted to apply my own clipping to individual components e.g. making the framing component of the wall clip a bird's mouth in the rafter component of the roof. So whatever individual settings you apply in terms of the roof components clipping or being clipped by the walls, the roof is always clipping the whole of the wall in the background. Not good. I actually filed a bug about this two days ago... I started a model in VW2024 + had to abort + go back to VW2023...

Unless you're experiencing something different @Jonathan Pickup?

10 minutes ago, Tobias Kern said:

Hi Tom,

yes, I made a report and a fix was made (as far as I know).

I think you have to wait to the next update.

Greetings

Tobi

Excellent thank you! I wonder how it will behave following the fix as basically the behaviour that Jonathan shows in his video is ultimately not very helpful because it applies a blanket clipping of the walls by the roof whether you want it or not + so isn't compatible with the individual component by component clip-or-be-clipped settings... It think it needs to go back to how it was before.

If it happened when you ran 'Fit Walls to Objects...' however that'd be a different matter!

1 minute ago, line-weight said:

it's not "fitting" the walls to the roof but clipping them.

Which is nothing new of course: we could do this already. It's just now it's happening automatically whether we want it or not. And if you actually want the walls to clip the roof instead (as per my bird's mouth cut in rafters example earlier) it completely gets in the way. So in no shape or form is this an enhancement as far as I can see, more a mistake.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, FranAJA said:

Before you had to select the walls to be clipping and associate with the roof to have this result. Now it is pretty much straightforward.

Yes it's fine if all you want is for the roof to clip the top of the walls but what if you want the top of the walls to clip the roof? At the moment, from what I've seen, both things are happening at once which results in a mess. What worked in previous versions no longer works in VW2024. Tobi filed a bug about it some weeks back + sounds like it will be fixed in next update...

• Like 3