Push Pull tool and/or 3D polygon does not work

MGuilfoile

Question

In VW 2023 SP5, I create a 3D polygon. After its creation, I try to extrude it (as per the manual) using the Push/Pull tool. Nothing happens; the tool does nothing. There is a note that this can be done immediately after creation of the 3D polygon, but, if true, that is absurdly limiting. A 3D polygon should be able to be easily extruded (i.e., as easily as a 2D polygon) at any time after its creation. This tool does not work for me and is, in general, very hard to use (compared to, say, FormZ's similar tools).

MH Brown

10 answers to this question

OK, thanks for the tip. I would hope if it had a problem like that I'd get an error message saying it isn't closed. The biggest problem is keeping the 3D polygon planer (as in keeping it one plane, whether the object-relative plane or the world plane). In other words: keep it flat. Is there a box to check for that? If so, I think I missed it, so it may be that the polygon is "twisted." This doesn't happen in other 3D apps I use, so I didn't think to look for it.

Thank you for the quick response!

MH Brown

49 minutes ago, MGuilfoile said:

In VW 2023 SP5, I create a 3D polygon. After its creation, I try to extrude it (as per the manual) using the Push/Pull tool. Nothing happens; the tool does nothing. There is a note that this can be done immediately after creation of the 3D polygon, but, if true, that is absurdly limiting. A 3D polygon should be able to be easily extruded (i.e., as easily as a 2D polygon) at any time after its creation. This tool does not work for me and is, in general, very hard to use (compared to, say, FormZ's similar tools).

MH Brown

Make sure you are using the Push/Pull Tool in the first mode (Extrude Face Mode)

48 minutes ago, MGuilfoile said:

in general, very hard to use (compared to, say, FormZ's similar tools).

Just curious.  It sounds like you may have extracted the 3D polygon or picked it off from some other points.  Is that correct?  

If I can offer a bit of advice.  Many 3D programs begin with primitive 3D objects and go from there, for example Rhino 3D SubD.  That is how they are designed to work.

Vectorworks is a solid modeller (most times).  It is best to begin modelling at the lowest common denominator, 2D polygons, NURBS curves, even 3D Locus points.  

Best of luck.