Layer scale

Hi all, 

I have a simple question but I can't fully understand it. I used to draft on Autocad for lighting plans but recently I started to use Vectorworks. I'm not so sure about what scale Is hould be choosing. Most of the time, I will have a PDF plan from venues in 1:50. Should I set the layer scale in 1:50 to match it? If I what to add lines or shapes in this layer, do I have to recalculate the dimensions? Or I just confuse myself here? 

I suppose that it will be better to use the same scale in each layer, so I just want to make sure everything is correct. 

Thanks so much!

10 minutes ago, CKeng said:

Hi all, 

I have a simple question but I can't fully understand it. I used to draft on Autocad for lighting plans but recently I started to use Vectorworks. I'm not so sure about what scale Is hould be choosing. Most of the time, I will have a PDF plan from venues in 1:50. Should I set the layer scale in 1:50 to match it? If I what to add lines or shapes in this layer, do I have to recalculate the dimensions? Or I just confuse myself here? 

I suppose that it will be better to use the same scale in each layer, so I just want to make sure everything is correct. 

Thanks so much!

Draw everything in you design layers at 1:1.  The option to apply a scale to the design layer is just a visualization aide to help you see what it will look like before you print.

I came from AutoCAD too, over 20 years in that program.  Best advice I have for you is “don’t try to make Vectorworks be AutoCAD”.  The best way to convert to Vectorworks is to take the Core Associate Training Vectorworks University.  This will get you up to speed quickly with free self paced lessons with concepts that will set you up for success.  I’ve had employees try to figure it out as they go and others who took the training.  Doing the training is the fastest path to understanding.

• Like 2

VectorWorks always draws at 1:1. What the scale settings are doing is showing you what it will look like when outputted to scale.

Elements such line weight, line types, font sizes etc will look as they will output when you finally come to print/publish at a scale. The idea is that there are no surprises with the output at scale. 

If you must draw at 1:1 then go ahead, it will make no difference, but you will be missing out on the wysiwyg aspect of this functionality which I find invaluable.

It’s up to you, but Jeff’s advice about not trying to make Vectorworks behave like AutoCAD is sound.

9 minutes ago, markdd said:

Elements such line weight, line types... will look as they will output when you finally come to print/publish at a scale.

But am I right to say that you will only see lines as they will print/publish if you also have 'Zoom Line Thickness' enabled?

22 minutes ago, markdd said:

VectorWorks always draws at 1:1

No, people draw, vectorworks just displays the input 🙂

I say this because I have interacted with more than a few people here who drew everything in a design layer, including the title block, as if it was a sheet of paper.  Meaning the title block was 24”x36” and the geometry was scaled at 1/8” = 1’0” for example.  That used to happen a lot when paper based architects made the switch to AutoCAD  back in the day as well.  Vectorworks hasn’t really done a great job on UI or explaining these kinds of features.  It seems almost intentional.

41 minutes ago, markdd said:

If you must draw at 1:1 then go ahead, it will make no difference, but you will be missing out on the wysiwyg aspect of this functionality which I find invaluable.

See, even here confusion reigns.  You should ALWAYS draw 1:1 for measured things.  The chosen layer scale does not change your data  input/method of drawing, it just displays the data.  The way you wrote that makes it sound like people should draw/data input at something other than 1:1.  I know that’s not your intention, but that’s what new users hear and why it is confusing.

And if you bring in the PDF plan of your venue, find a measurable item (known dimension, door, etc) and use the Scale tool to scale that object so that it is actually the correct size.  Use the Symmetric by Distance mode and click the dimension button next to the Current Distance fields and draw a line along the known size object. In the New Distance box type in the known dimension.

If you object was very small or you were not able to snap to it, you may want to repeat the above on the scaled object for more accuracy.

• Like 1