Viewport auto-naming

Christiaan

The divider  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a setting to modify the divider?

• Yes, I would want to use something different than " - "
    • No, keep it simple, don't add more complexity, and use " - " as the default
    • No, keep it simple, don't add more complexity, but the default should be something else

Question

15 answers to this question

Thinking about how this would be useful to me - it would largely be to make viewports more identifiable in long lists, for example when choosing section line instances, elevation benchmark instances and so on.

So, the "drawing title" might be more useful than the "drawing number" (it would be more useful to see something identified as "east elevation" than "3" for example).

By the same token, "sheet title" might be more useful than "sheet number".

That means I might want to be able to set it to [sheet title]-[drawing title].

Don't think I'm too bothered about the divider but not having a space either side of it would be good in order to keep the string of text as short as possible to minimise the familiar VW problem of labels getting truncated in certain lists/menus.

55 minutes ago, line-weight said:

That means I might want to be able to set it to [sheet title]-[drawing title].

Problem is you can't have viewports with the same name. The drawing number is needed to avoid any conflicts between viewports on a sheet layer with the same drawing title.

55 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Don't think I'm too bothered about the divider but not having a space either side of it would be good in order to keep the string of text as short as possible to minimise the familiar VW problem of labels getting truncated in certain lists/menus.

Yes, that was my initial thought too but the space makes them more readable to my eye (when looking at them in the Nav palette). I think then your vote would be for the third option in the poll?

17 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

Problem is you can't have viewports with the same name. The drawing number is needed to avoid any conflicts between viewports on a sheet layer with the same drawing title.

Ah yes I see. The number would perhaps have to be in there too, then, but I could choose to put it at the end of the string.

17 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

Yes, that was my initial thought too but the space makes them more readable to my eye (when looking at them in the Nav palette). I think then your vote would be for the third option in the poll?

I guess that I'd go for first option, if it was easy to implement. If choosing the 2nd or 3rd option meant we could have this sooner, I'd go for either of them.

4 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Ah yes I see. The number would perhaps have to be in there too, then, but I could choose to put it at the end of the string.

Yes, that's the idea of this:

20 hours ago, Christiaan said:

But Viewports would have a setting that would allow you to modify the order (so, for example, you could put the drawing title before the drawing number in some instances). You'd be able to apply this setting to multiple Viewports at once (including when you have multiple Viewports selected on a Sheet or when selecting multiple Viewports in the Nav Palette or Organisation window). Each Viewport would remember this setting even if the auto-naming document preference was turned off and on again.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2023 at 7:44 AM, Christiaan said:

The default naming format would be [sheet number] - [drawing number] - [drawing title]

I vote for brevity (option 3?): I like the hyphen as divider but I would want the default to be without the added spaces on both sides of the dividers. I keep my Navigation Palette as skinny as possible, so less wasted space is better.

• Like 2

For me the best readability in vertical listings is still uppercase and underscores

UPPERCASE_UNDERSCORES.

This is worked well for all my :

Finder paths, File Names, VW Layers, ACAD Layers, ....

It is just for VW Classes, that it needs a "-", in case I want to make use of

"Hierchical Display" - which I never do anyway.

But far worse for most Resource Manager Objects, because otherwise

VW's UI isn't able to break resource names in tile view, when they do not

have "-" but use other separators like underscores "_"   ....

• Like 1