Jump to content
jeff prince

Best Bang for the buck Imac vs Imac Pro

Recommended Posts

I've been kicking around the idea of buying an iMac or iMac Pro now that the new Pro has been announced.

The goal is to stay under $6000 and get the best bang for the buck.

A maxed out 27" iMac is $5249 

A lower spec 27" iMac Pro is $5949 (slower/higher grade processor, 2x Vram, 1/2 storage)

 

So, what would you buy and why?

 

If going the Pro route...

Is the 3.0 GHz 10 core worth $800 more than the 3.2 GHz 8 core?

Seems the money would be better spent on upgrading to the Vega 64 (+$550) and 64 GB Ram (+$400)

 

1219903388_ScreenShot2019-06-11at5_15_36PM.thumb.png.3b4bf41ad593171bbbc54fbb1d0fbb6f.png1117808226_ScreenShot2019-06-11at5_17_19PM.thumb.png.8b8a18e1d8a6c287c8f43e448171116e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I would go as max as possible (budget) with CPU and GPU.

RAM to your (iMac Pro, future ?) needs.

I would stay with 1TB SSD and save some money.

Enough for Apps and System, Data externaly.

 

I think the 10 core Xeon is worth the upgrade.

Fastest single core performance option for iMac Pro.

Standard iMac 8 core may be faster though.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Jeff

We have bought two I mac pros last years 3.0/10 core and 3.2/8 core both with the vega 64 16 gb vram. I have used both and I don't find much difference in day to day VW and twinmotion work. ( We are replacing Mac pros from 2010, 3.3/6 core some are still in use) 

 

I like that we have more options now for Vectorworks, maxed out iMac´s, Imac pros and soon Mac pros.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, zoomer said:

I would go as max as possible (budget) with CPU and GPU.

RAM to your (iMac Pro, future ?) needs.

I would stay with 1TB SSD and save some money.

Enough for Apps and System, Data externaly.

 

I think the 10 core Xeon is worth the upgrade.

Fastest single core performance option for iMac Pro.

Standard iMac 8 core may be faster though.

 

Yes, and this seems to echo Jim's hardware thread.

This article favors the 3.0/10 like @zoomer and supports the argument by saying the RAM could be upgraded in the future.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/15/opinion-10-core-imac-pro-sans-upgrades-best-bang-for-the-buck/

 

@Hans-Olav thanks for your comment.  Based on your experience and the benchmarks, it seems like a wash unless you're rendering all the time.

 

These seem like the choices now...

$3850 iMac 3.6/8, 32 GB RAM, Vega 48/8GB, 512 SSD with a predicted replacement in 3 years

$6350 iMac Pro 3.0/10, 32 GB RAM, Vega 64/16GB, 1 TB SSD with a predicted RAM upgrade in 2 years and replacement in 5-6 years.

I imagine the Pro would see a few more years of lifespan, but it's all a guessing game to me.

I hate shopping for computers on a budget.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe the iMac may run a few years more.

With an eGPU and easier RAM upgrade.

 

I am a little concerned about dust cleaning

with these AIOs though.

 

But I say this also because this generation of high core

iMacs and Macbook Pros seems to work quite well

without abnormal throttling and nuclear temperatures

for some reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've been pretty happy with my macbook pro, but I miss my 27" iMac from a gig I just left, hence my desire to get myself a desktop.

I just ran the Cinebench R20 test on my macbook pro and it scored 1346.  I don't know if that's good or not since the scores do not seem to correlate to the thread here on the R15 test, but I've been happy with the performance...until I started playing with TwinMotion.

Share this post


Link to post

Twinmotion uses the GPU.

So an eGPU will help much.

Thunderbolt 3 would be nice. It should work with

TB2 too, but may need some tweaking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi @jeff prince 

 

I'd go for the iMac instead of the iMac Pro. It's Intel i9 processor is very good and according to what I've been seeing on the internet has been managing thermals very good. 

 

It's a shame though that the new iMac doesn't have a T2 chip or two more thunderbolt ports and the 10Gb ethernet port but all of this stuff are not essential at least for me...

 

Also never buy RAM from apple if you have the option to upgrade it yourself and buy it elsewhere.

 

A video comparing both machines: 

 

Here I leave you two screenshots of a beast of a machine under $6000 ($4249.00 + $948.99 = $5,197.99)

 

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch-3.7ghz-6-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-4.6ghz-2tb# 

https://eshop.macsales.com/cart/?added=OWC2666DR4S128S 

 

551122332_iMac8Core.thumb.png.eac79fb52312879f79319b0e0d385748.png1319491970_128GBRAMUpgrade.thumb.png.0b7105d3f2709ad68e15ba812b125fc5.png

 

Hope all this helps a bit on your decision.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hey @jeff prince - curious which way you went. I'm in the same position; my iMac is approaching end of life (late 2013 model) and I'm torn between a fully loaded iMac (core i9, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Pro Vega 48) vs a base model 8-core iMac Pro (32GB ram, Pro Vega 56, 1TB SSD).

 

The new iMac comes out to $3675, and OWC has factory refurbished iMac Pros with those specs for around $3800.

 

 Especially curious if the Xeon processor + ECC adds any stability. FWIW, I do very little rendering, although I do spend a considerable amount of time in flyover/OpenGL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/11/2019 at 1:45 PM, Bradley King said:

Hey @jeff prince - curious which way you went. I'm in the same position; my iMac is approaching end of life (late 2013 model) and I'm torn between a fully loaded iMac (core i9, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Pro Vega 48) vs a base model 8-core iMac Pro (32GB ram, Pro Vega 56, 1TB SSD).

 

The new iMac comes out to $3675, and OWC has factory refurbished iMac Pros with those specs for around $3800.

 

 Especially curious if the Xeon processor + ECC adds any stability. FWIW, I do very little rendering, although I do spend a considerable amount of time in flyover/OpenGL.

 

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, going to wait until January 2020 for tax reasons 😞

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×