Charlie Winter

v2019 'Active Symbol Definition' drop-down causing lag in Blank Document

PVA - Jim

This issue should be resolved by going to Resource Manager > Gear > Refresh Libraries, then restarting Vectorworks. This will no longer occur after 2019 SP1.

Message added by PVA - Jim

Question

Very excited to dive into 2019!

What better way than with a program hang. 

I'm encountering a long delay with opening the resource window of the 'Choose a Symbol' dialog, when activated via the OIP.

No lagging issues when using 'Replace with Symbol' via the menu.

Anyone else?

Edited by cwinterLD
Workflow update.

12 answers to this question

Creating Blank Document

Select Symbol Insertion Tool

Click 'Active Symbol Definition' drop-down in the menu bar

Still waiting...

2m.

Vectorworks logo bounces in dock, and then I can return to the program, with no resource menu open.

Select the 'Active Symbol Definition' drop-down again, and...

another 2 minute wait.. then the logo bounces again. 

Help.

I am unable to replicate that here on my Mac. However I am using Vectorworks 2019 on macOS 10.13.2 , (EDIT: 10.13.6) are you on OSX 10.10.5 still as your signature states or a later OS?

6 minutes ago, Hans-Olav said:

@Jim Wilson Just curious, where can you see the signature? How do we make signatures?

it looks like your account had them hidden for every user, I've switched them back on for the moment, and you can edit your signature and overall visibility here:
https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/settings/signature/

Anytime I use a tool that has you select a symbol from the dropdown there is a spinning beach-ball and the whole program/UI stalls for 20 seconds or so.    IE:  Insert Lighting Instrument.    Select from the dropdown.... stall.    

This is a fresh blank file.

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Like 1

Did anyone experiencing the delay manually migrate resource libraries from an older version? If you go into the Resource Manager, click the gear and then Refresh Libraries, does the same issue happen after restarting Vectorworks?

• Like 1

I am getting the same thing. Does not matter if I use the menu or the OIP either. Same applies for inserting truss.

Each time I try it is taking about 10 seconds to open the resource window.

All from an empty scene too.

Just now, Jim Wilson said:

Did anyone experiencing the delay manually migrate resource libraries from an older version? If you go into the Resource Manager, click the gear and then Refresh Libraries, does the same issue happen after restarting Vectorworks?

I did originally,  but since deleted the 2019 user folder and restarted it clean.   I just did your gear > refresh libraries and that seems to be working so far.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

That seems to have fixed it for me. Thanks.

I did not manually migrate either.

• Like 1