Jump to content
PVA - Jim

Forum Upgrades - November 2017

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Also, are inline images now limited to 500px wide? I tried inserting one into a post and it's entirely too small. Most images used to be too huge, now they're too tiny.

 

The weird thing is when I double-click the inline image it actually displays a width of "0", but when I type in a number >500 it says "Value must be equal to or less then 500". If there's going to be a limit could it at least be a width of perhaps 1024px?


Bumped it to 1k, give that a shot.

Unfortunately I cant control the width per device/screen, so we'll have to find a value that works in the middle.

Share this post


Link to post

Using Safari on my iPad Air 2 (iOS 11.1.1), the button to follow a topic in the title bar is not visible. If you just click in the black area it still works, but no one would know to click here. It seems to only happen when you are logged in as a user.

4999DD5E-AC1F-477E-94D4-66D7EF8275F7.thumb.jpeg.ac56d136faa3de2a788703258d9dacdd.jpeg94AC20C6-900F-4194-B432-B71F022A7820.thumb.jpeg.8265823411cb25b9c896794cc3d2bd16.jpeg

Edited by rDesign

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Using Safari on my iPad Air 2 (iOS 11.1.1), the button to follow a topic in the title bar is not visible. If you just click in the black area it still works, but no one would know to click here.

4999DD5E-AC1F-477E-94D4-66D7EF8275F7.thumb.jpeg.ac56d136faa3de2a788703258d9dacdd.jpeg


This is a CSS issue, I've submitted it to the web team to be fixed. I tried swapping out the colors temporarily but its controlled by HTML I can't mess with.

Share this post


Link to post

It is not iOS related, it happens in Safari in general.

Funny thing is, after you clicked in the dark and activated following,

it's there and visible.

Share this post


Link to post

Follow button should now be back! Web team slid it in just at the end of business today, thanks guys!

Please let me know if it does not appear on any device/browser combo, but I suspect this fix will work for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post

:)

Yes, it seems to be back quite flashy.

(1 px frame would be enough for me personally)

Share this post


Link to post

The Scroll to Top button seems to be back in action now as well! You can see it at the bottom right of a page you have scrolled away from the top of. Should work on both desktop and mobile browsers, but let me know if it does not.

Share this post


Link to post

No Scroll to Top button for me here ?

(Safari + 10.13.1)

 

Sorry found it.

Has hidden itself over the gray end banner :D

 

 

BTW, self produced ASCI styled Emojis don't work anymore. (Standard Smileys :) )

Only the ones provided in the box by VW.

(As you can see in many posts, even from VW employees)

Edited by zoomer

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, zoomer said:

BTW, self produced ASCI styled Emojis don't work anymore. (Standard Smileys :) )

Only the ones provided in the box by VW.

(As you can see in many posts, even from VW employees)


This should still be the same as it has been, what are you seeing differently?

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 11.04.10 AM.png

There are certain ascii emoji that auto translate to their graphical counterpart, a list here, but these should be the same as they were since the transition:

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 11.06.01 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post

I see the missing image placeholder when using " :"  + " ) " in my (or Selin's) posts and

your initial quote of my text, while I see a Smiley in you second smaller quote ....

 

Another try :

 

:)

 

or an alternative spelling :-)

Edited by zoomer

Share this post


Link to post

This is a screenshot of what I see on all browsers for your post:

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 11.16.26 AM.png

please reply back with a screenshot of what you see instead, I may be misunderstanding. Do you see the same thing on all browsers or just safari? 

Share this post


Link to post

5a1ede5897664_ScreenShot2017-11-29at8_19_38AM.thumb.png.97ed1b97d28bedc5abe7236590f863f9.png

 

This is what I see on Mac OSX 10.13.1 in Safari version 11.0.1. Interestingly they work properly on my iPhone.

 

KM

 

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Share this post


Link to post

Got it, looks lie it's a 10.13 thing, tested here on another Mac. 10.12 fine on all browsers, 10.13 shows the regular ascii in Chrome but the broken link on Safari, I'll submit it, ty!


Edit: after some more looking, it looks like an issue related to the default font in 10.13 and its introduction of new emoji handling. However, when did this problem start appearing for you folks? Just recently or ever since High Sierra? 

Share this post


Link to post

I knew it was on my side ;)

 

I see what Kevin sees.

Looks like other Smileys work except the standard one.

 

I think is a VW 2018 SP2 thing.

Clearly a deal breaker for the forum. Can't work that way ....

Share this post


Link to post

I know this is now a fairly long thread, but if I can wind it back to image insertion, I find the default size too big now and then when I want to change I still can't agree that a '0' in the resize is helpful start to this process.

 

The user then has to stab at a figure that seems appropriate - usually based upon prior use and therefore experience of this new method - must be quite a problem for first timers.

 

I know you tried to reduce the forum images by applying a min @JimWbut is there (still) a reason to have the zero. If I change to (say) 400 and then want to tweak it I go back to the resize panel and would expect to see a 400 that I can change. No - Its showing zero again. Thinks?? - now what did I choose first off???

 

Any others share this thought?

 

Positives now - liking the changes overall. Up arrow is good and I confirm works on Mac,iphone and iPad.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

I know this is now a fairly long thread, but if I can wind it back to image insertion, I find the default size too big now and then when I want to change I still can't agree that a '0' in the resize is helpful start to this process.

 

The user then has to stab at a figure that seems appropriate - usually based upon prior use and therefore experience of this new method - must be quite a problem for first timers.

 

I know you tried to reduce the forum images by applying a min @JimWbut is there (still) a reason to have the zero. If I change to (say) 400 and then want to tweak it I go back to the resize panel and would expect to see a 400 that I can change. No - Its showing zero again. Thinks?? - now what did I choose first off???


It's a bug in the IPS framework software unfortunately, they tell me it will be corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-11-29 at 7:49 AM, JimW said:

The Scroll to Top button seems to be back in action now as well! You can see it at the bottom right of a page you have scrolled away from the top of. Should work on both desktop and mobile browsers, but let me know if it does not.

I would like to wish list a new placement for the "Scroll to Top" button. Its weird to have to move my mouse all the way to the bottom right, hit the button and move my mouse all the way back to the top if I want to search or check other notifications. Its almost easier to scroll with the mouse scroll function which sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? How about a mid-window placement?

 

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

How about a mid-window placement?


I'll see what can be done, currently it has to be the same place for ALL devices viewing it, so mid would be bad for tablets/phones. I'll see about what can be changed, but most likely the thing I'm working on with themes will have to be completed before I can poke at it.

Share this post


Link to post

Semi related to that, any thoughts on some changes I'm working on? (You wont see these yet, theyre limited to my account for the moment) Theres a few things to notice:

1) Reorganized the user pane to be off to the left so that it less in-line with the content being read. This change also allows some more custom title/badge things to work properly that can't be enabled on the current theme.

2) Re-enabled the highlighted posts, so you can see the different coloring in the background of my posts because I'm an employee of Vectorworks Inc. I think marking this out makes it more obvious when a user is interacting with an employee which as this type of interaction increases, which I feel is a very good thing.

3) The reactions at the bottom right of a post with the up and down arrows will be replaced by something else that slides out when clicked on and has a range of items to pick from, but thats still awaiting graphic approval so for the moment its still disabled.

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 10.46.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 10.46.14 AM.png

The rest of the changes will likely be very mild for the time being, most of the shuffling of elements I'm doing is groundwork to make it easier to roll out updates to the platform in the future. Let me know your thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JimW said:

Semi related to that, any thoughts on some changes I'm working on? (You wont see these yet, theyre limited to my account for the moment) Theres a few things to notice:

1) Reorganized the user pane to be off to the left so that it less in-line with the content being read. This change also allows some more custom title/badge things to work properly that can't be enabled on the current theme.

I don't mind that and it does make things clearer. Its also a nod to the old forum :D

 

3 hours ago, JimW said:

2) Re-enabled the highlighted posts, so you can see the different coloring in the background of my posts because I'm an employee of Vectorworks Inc. I think marking this out makes it more obvious when a user is interacting with an employee which as this type of interaction increases, which I feel is a very good thing.

I don't mind that either... though aesthetically I hope the border colour for employees is something different than in your example. Perhaps the same green as "Vectorworks Inc. Employee" or a neutral grey.

 

3 hours ago, JimW said:

3) The reactions at the bottom right of a post with the up and down arrows will be replaced by something else that slides out when clicked on and has a range of items to pick from, but thats still awaiting graphic approval so for the moment its still disabled.

Something like the thumbs up is much clearer than the old arrows.

 

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

 

Semi related to that, any thoughts on some changes I'm working on? (You wont see these yet, theyre limited to my account for the moment) Theres a few things to notice:

 

Well, actually, @JimWsaid that 2 posts above. Apparently quotes don’t recognize presence of intervening posts?

Anyway all 3 ideas look good to me. I agree with Kevin that the employee post would look better with that bright green for border color.

-B

 

Edited by Benson Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/15/2017 at 2:44 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

though aesthetically I hope the border colour for employees is something different than in your example.


Agreed, I think I'd call the default color it uses "Inexpensive Beer" in polite conversation.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...