Record Formats which resemble OIP

SamIWas

Question

Maybe there's some way to do something like this, but I would love to see record formats have the same options as adding parameters to the Lighting Device Shape Pallet.

Instead of just a series of text-like fields, allow checkboxes for Booleans, pop-up menus for numbers or text, etc.

I think there's a way to do this with some programming and making your own OIPs, but that's complicated, and record formats are simple. Plus, I'm not sure something like a lighting device can have a second shape palette.

12 answers to this question

+1

The whole data tab thing feels antiquated.

Well, it kind of is. I don't think it has changed at all since inception. It could be SO much more powerful.

Like, having a dataset that can only be true or false, but having to click into the text entry box to type "True" (or 1, or T, or whatever), feels like it could be so much faster with a checkbox.

Or, if only A, B, or C are real options, there's no way to make a drop-down menu so that only those options are available.

I believe this can be done with custom objects and custom OIPs, but with something like a Lighting Device with additional data...not so much.

Edited by SamIWas
Tom, isn't this what marionette is for?

I think it definitely could be. At the moment its a little too much like a direct port of Python/Vectorscript into nodes. The nodes need to bridge the gap a little more, ironing out some of the messiness of Vectorscript and making it more accessible to users without any scripting experience.

(A prime example is scripting text, which includes all of the terrible Vectorscript commands for creating text as nodes rather than creating a single elegant text node that has standard OIP controls in addition to input ports.)

Kevin

• Like 1

I vote for the whole OIP to be updated.

-collapsible sections or more tabs

-uniformity across objects of both data available and of organization

-visual render settings (too many drop-downs)

-data tab, all above, requires way too many clicks, how about in place editing?

-include pen/fill attributes! (with a 'revert to class type' button)

and that's only a few minutes of thought!

I vote for the whole OIP to be updated.

-collapsible sections or more tabs

-uniformity across objects of both data available and of organization

-visual render settings (too many drop-downs)

-data tab, all above, requires way too many clicks, how about in place editing?

-include pen/fill attributes! (with a 'revert to class type' button)

and that's only a few minutes of thought!

These are all great thoughts. I like the C4D "OIP" in that its more modular and you can select multiple tabs at the same time.

Kevin

Tom, isn't this what marionette is for?

Marionette certainly can create objects, but I would not say that is what it is for. It compares very nicely to Grasshopper - it does not compare at all to Revit's family editor. I love the fact you can visually script - but that is not user-friendly or functional enough for what we need.

We need to be able to easily build our own doors, windows, railings, stairs, etc. in a geometric and parametric way.