Extruded object and fill in Top Plan

Hi,

Maybe a dumb question but when I want to show the fill of an extruded object in top plan mode.

I draw a rectangle and fill all ok as soon as I extrude the fill disappears. Don't want to use Open GL just Top plan because I am doing a black and white drawing.

Drawing a series of pergola posts so I extruded the 150 Sq post. All is ok if I use a wall for my columns, But ???? is there a way???

Regards

• Like 1

The best way would be to make a 2d/3d hybrid symbol for the posts. Draw your 2d filled rectangle and 3d extruded post, select both and create a symbol. The 2d filled rectangle needs to be a screen plane object. That way they'll display the way you want.

Alternately there is a column object in the architectural toolset that acts the same as a wall object.

KM

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Kevin,

Thanks for that, I had forgotten about the column object in the toolsets, works great for that.

Hybrid symbol is possibly the way to go that way if they change in materials etc, as they invariably do I can change them all at once.

thanks again.

Jonathon,

Thanks, that's amazing! the placement of the cutting plane and what's displayed above and below the cutting plane and the various ways you can display it and all controlled in the viewport if you adjust the settings of your class there.

I was going to rant about the inability to create a simple presentation drawing from a full 3D model without tracing over some aspects but it almost always comes down to an ignorance of the program.

My Dad always said if you say it can't be done you are not thinking hard enough.

Thanks

I am sure there will be more aspects with similar problems of generating a 2D drawing from a full 3D model but I am keen to show that it is possible without costing the office huge amounts of Fee time.

• Like 1

I've always found this feature (or absence of feature) somewhat puzzling and frustrating. I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to add this functionality. But perhaps coding attention has been focused elsewhere and the extrude tool is an older type of tool.

One workaround that I've used is to avoid extrudes and use the floor tool (under the aec menu). It tends to do the same sort of thing and it has 2d-3d functionality baked into it. Plus you can set the Z axis. So lights, panels, ceiling bulkheads, odd shapes can all be floors.

Maybe extrude needs to get retired to the legacy set of tools? And floor renamed?

Thanks, I use these where possible but the inability to rotate these objects in other than X or Y rotation. you cannot slope the slab items.

I might look at the framing tools as a lot of my extrudes are used in the creation of a pergola or timber exposed beams, But then again if I need to shape the end like in the image attached?? well we will see.

... I might look at the framing tools as a lot of my extrudes are used in the creation of a pergola or timber exposed beams, But then again if I need to shape the end like in the image attached?? well we will see.

I have not used this 'Custom Beams' plug-in personally, but it appears to offer the ability to shape the ends like your image. And it's only USD $25.

Custom Beams :: A|F Design

OK, stupid workaround:

Use the framing member or (symbol of) an extrude for the square portion of each member. Extrudes can be from lumber cross section then adjust the extrude length

For the shaped ends, create a symbol of that fits onto the ends of the extrudes. Can be placed at end of extrude of any length.

I've done this before.

-B