trim tool

In my further thoughts this makes a little more sense. However even if I created 1 how would I trim back the spoke? Is this with and model>add solids or subtract solids?

To me that just seems like a silly way. I would have thought the intersect solids would have worked but it left a hole in the rim rather then subtracting the extra spoke material. To me it should be as simple as triming crossing a line in a standard plan view but it doesnt work that way?

If the spoke is a simple cylindrical shape I would use a simple extruded circle (I try to avoid adding/subtracting solids -when possible- as they retain their history and can cause files to become larger and slower). If you create the first one in top/plan view, it can be the one that is vertical. Then the others can be duplicates. Now, of course, in a real-life wheel the spokes are not straight up and down, and there is more than one set of them (inners/outers). Not sure exactly how to solve that, but it's all just geometry, so I'm pretty sure with the proper values for rotation and pitch it could be done... Perhaps you would post a shot of your results when they are- um- results...

To get the result you want with every spoke trimmed I think you will have to trim each one individually.

I would make a "Solid" version of your rim. Extract a profile of the rim and make a closed polyline out of it that is "deeper" than the spokes and then put in a circle and do an extrude along path.

It looks like you only have two versions of the spokes, so duplicate the solid version and use one to Subtract Solids with each version of the spoke. Then duplicate the spokes around the hub/rim again.

Afraid not.

Trim is a currently a 2d operation. You're working with 3d solids.

A 3d trim is probably a good idea, in the meantime subtract solids will get the job done.

Otherwise, you can adjust the extrude length in the OIP.

The closest you'll probably find will be Model>Section Solids.

Be sure you duplicate your rim first and use it as the sectioning geometry.

Also be sure you spoke doesn't extend past the extents of the rim.

Your spokes probably penetrate the rim in any case and terminate with a plug of some sort so you will likely be punching holes in the rim.

Edited by bcd