Hide individual objects...

shorter

Question

Who would find it useful if we could hide individual objects, i.e. not by class or layer.

Revit can.  Solibri can.  BIM Collab can.

I know it presents a problem later of knowing what object is invisible, but the V key to show invisible objects is great, and under-used by many and should offer the ability to show the object again.

One use of this would be in viewports where one simply wants to hide an object, but not turn off the class, layer or have to delete or reclassify that object.

• Like 3

13 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

You can do some of this by using the Custom Visibility Command, which has been deprecated. (I think people hid objects and then couldn't get them back...?) Add it back to the workspace, create a script to hide and another to show what you've hidden!

Edited by markdd
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As Ruby pointed out I think it's pretty high up on the roadmap to add that capability. When watching the videos that Tim C. put together for the open house, I noticed that he likes to group the objects and then enters the group with show others turned off; essentially isolating those objects.

1 hour ago, Josh Loy said:

As Ruby pointed out I think it's pretty high up on the roadmap to add that capability. When watching the videos that Tim C. put together for the open house, I noticed that he likes to group the objects and then enters the group with show others turned off; essentially isolating those objects.

Groups are not a good workflow for BIM level 2 projects... or when used in conjunction with rotate view... or when working in global i.e. OS coordinates so any implimetation should not rely on the use of groups.

• Like 1

This has been a capability of VW for a long time, but it has been removed from the workspaces. I think due to the tech support issue of people hiding objects and then not being able to find them.

Here are two one line scripts that will help you.

Show(ALL);
Hide(SEL);

The first restores all hidden objects to be visible.

The second makes all selected objects invisible.

You can enhance the Hide script to:

Hide(SEL);
DSelectAll;

So the hidden objects are not selected and accidentally edited by the next actions.

This used to be in the operator interface under a command called Custom Visibility that was removed a decade or more ago.

20 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

This has been a capability of VW for a long time, but it has been removed from the workspaces. I think due to the tech support issue of people hiding objects and then not being able to find them.

Here are two one line scripts that will help you.

Show(ALL);
Hide(SEL);

The first restores all hidden objects to be visible.

The second makes all selected objects invisible.

You can enhance the Hide script to:

Hide(SEL);
DSelectAll;

So the hidden objects are not selected and accidentally edited by the next actions.

This used to be in the operator interface under a command called Custom Visibility that was removed a decade or more ago.

Ah, but does it work to hide an object inside a section viewport?

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

So, the original request stands...

We need to be able to hide objects, in the model, or viewport, using the visibility tool, like most of the other BIM and IFC apps can.

Great if it is on the roadmap, but the simpliest thing would be to add it as an option to the Visibility tool, i.e. another mode within that tool.

We often isolate objects too using the hide/show options in solibri, etc.  This would be useful and should be added as an option to the double click preferences, i.e. double click hides all except for selected object.

Edited by shorter
  • Like 1

I know it doesn't neccessarily address your request for a new feature, which I hope will be a reality very soon, but have you tried using Data Visualization to select a named object and then remove pen and fill attributes for the object? It's effective on all the plug-ins I have tried and, no doubt, many other types of objects as well.

• Like 1