2024 isn't an upgrade, it's a disruption!

2 hours ago, Erica H said:

There was no logical reason to make these things static and in completely different locations than they were in the previous version

Changing user interfaces like this not only disrupts daily operations for presumably 10’s of thousands of people, but it also forces all training materials such as websites, videos, and books to be updated for a trivial reason.  The net impact is staggering for no gain.  I guess it keeps the training division happily employed…

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Erica H said:

Snapping at the top? why ? when i'm drawing it's more helpful to have it at the bottom, or again, customizable ! 

If you unpin Snapping in the View Bar Settings it will return to the bottom.

10 hours ago, Erica H said:

saved views being all the way to the left at the top does me no good - i like it in the middle - i should be able to move this to where it works best. 

I agree on this but decided I actually preferred not having it there at all + instead I use the detached Saved Views tab from the Navigation palette. Then I can position it wherever I want + have it auto-collapsable. I much prefer this set-up + am glad to have the option of removing Saved Views from the View Bar since I don't need it there.

I feel like there is more customisation now than previously. There are the Control Sizes in VW Prefs (although this is Mac-only I believe) + three different View Bar modes plus you can choose whether to display the group labels or not. Plus there are improvements in the way Layer Scale + Data Vis works on the View Bar. I have to say I genuinely prefer working in VW2024 to VW2023.

My one gripe is the Quick Pref icons which are just too dumbed-down. I am toggling 'Show Other Objects' + 'Zoom Line Thickness' on + off dozens of times every day + still have to stop to look + find them each time. I would love to be able to reorder these so the ones I use the most (these two) could be positioned to one side. And have the icons  better defined of course.

The other icons however I generally think are better. For example would I really want to swap this Screenshot2024-04-19at06_17_42.png.b7bb896c772031aabbd0d8a0cbb57763.png back to this Screenshot2024-04-19at06_15_45.png.31c4efca52ebbc85f67a7d413caebf1f.png? Or this Screenshot2024-04-19at06_18_00.png.c25ffbe15315506733b3253722bd1a90.png back to this Screenshot2024-04-19at06_15_32.png.b84bd4c961c6392491868dc2a6b906a3.png? Nope.

But I appreciate others have a different perspective.

• Like 2

I fail to see the point of adjusting anything in the user interface if the user is not allowed to adjust it to their needs.  After all, they are the "user," not the developer.  If you take a look at the C4D user interface, you will see that practically everything is adjustable, from what's on a palette to where the palette is.  They provide multiple starting point workspaces for different tasks and then let the user create whatever they want from those. 

To me that is the only way to create a user interface, since we all have different needs and different ways of working.  We are not talking about an iphone here, where every user is using the same hardware.  

• Like 4