Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1 makes VW2024 unusable

astephens

Question

I updated my OS to Sonoma 14.4.1 last night and today Vectorworks 2024 is completely unusable. The program will open and it will open files/ create new ones, but the second I touch a key or use the mouse the bottom portion of the vw window flashes (almost like when a logic board fails) and then the entire computer crashes. No other programs exhibit this behavior.

Anyone else experience this?

For reference, I'm running a 2023 MacBook Pro with an M2 Max chip and 96GB of RAM. I was previously running Sonoma 14.3.1 and all was well until the update to 14.4.1

• Like 1

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, bjoerka said:

Correct. When i directly go into the page setup, there are only standard page sizes available for the Canon printer.

Didn´t recognize this...

The Page Setup command in Vectorworks isn't ours, we just call the command from the OS.  It's no surprise Vectorworks and TextEdit have the same issue.  I've seen the same in Adobe Acrobat, if you choose, "Page Setup" from within the Print dialog.

• Like 1

Correct.

Mostly i use the setup of page sizes throughout the print command. And then i.e. in amostly all applications, i can select the predefinde page sizes for all printers. Kind of weired that the same functionality, done in two different ways, leads to different results .-)

So i guess there´s no other way to wait for a fix by Apple.

• Like 1

OP here. Just wanted to give an update. I finished the workweek on the older OS and then over the weekend I erased my laptop again, did a clean install of Sonoma and then reinstalled vw from a new download. My system has been working ever since then. I wanted to confirm that I use an external monitor (Samsung M8) as an extended display.

I also had a new M3 Max MacBook on order that arrived in the middle of my dealings with the machine from my original post. It arrived with 14.4 installed. I got it set up and working and after a few days (and a Time Machine back up!) I went ahead and did the update to 14.4.1. That system is also working well, with the minor exception of a zoom/ vw issue that very occasionally causes zoom to crash when screen sharing vw.

This was prior to the announcement from Vectorworks advising users not to update. The new machine is working well, but I also have a backup that can restore to the previous OS version if I run into any more issues.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, astephens said:

OP here. Just wanted to give an update. I finished the workweek on the older OS and then over the weekend I erased my laptop again, did a clean install of Sonoma and then reinstalled vw from a new download. My system has been working ever since then. I wanted to confirm that I use an external monitor (Samsung M8) as an extended display.

I also had a new M3 Max MacBook on order that arrived in the middle of my dealings with the machine from my original post. It arrived with 14.4 installed. I got it set up and working and after a few days (and a Time Machine back up!) I went ahead and did the update to 14.4.1. That system is also working well, with the minor exception of a zoom/ vw issue that very occasionally causes zoom to crash when screen sharing vw.

This was prior to the announcement from Vectorworks advising users not to update. The new machine is working well, but I also have a backup that can restore to the previous OS version if I run into any more issues.

Just to confirm, your original system has been updated to 14.4.1 also, with no issue thus far?

50 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Just to confirm, your original system has been updated to 14.4.1 also, with no issue thus far?

Yes, that's correct. I was setting up and testing vectorworks to get that laptop ready for another employee. I erased the hard disk and did a clean install of 14.4.1 and then downloaded a new copy of vectorworks. I realize now that I did all of that testing while not hooked up to an external display. That said, the recipient of the M2Max laptop has been using it for several days, with an external display, and has reported no issues.

Also, in case it's relevant, I use a thunderbolt connection to my external monitor. That was the case for the M2 Max and the new M3 Max laptop.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, astephens said:

Yes, that's correct. I was setting up and testing vectorworks to get that laptop ready for another employee. I erased the hard disk and did a clean install of 14.4.1 and then downloaded a new copy of vectorworks. I realize now that I did all of that testing while not hooked up to an external display. That said, the recipient of the M2Max laptop has been using it for several days, with an external display, and has reported no issues.

Also, in case it's relevant, I use a thunderbolt connection to my external monitor. That was the case for the M2 Max and the new M3 Max laptop.

Thank you for confirming and mentioning the cable usage.  I seem to recall in various Internet threads (not just Vectorworks), that cables for displays and other accessories were the source of their various problems.

• Like 1

I updated to MacOS 14.4.1 and then lost the main menu of my Vectorworks update 4.1 (Build 750359).

This also makes my Vectorworks unusable.

My computer is a Mac Book Pro 2019 Intel chip laptop.

Anyone has the same issue?

截屏2024-04-19 上午10.19.34.png

I had that once for VW and Bricscad too.

But that was with 14.4.0. and not seen it in 14.4.1 again so far.

I use a M1 Mini desktop with a single Monitor.

On a Macbook with multi monitor setup or clamshell mode

it may be more likely to experience such problems.

For Macbooks, for similar issues, it was recommended to just

close and reopen the lid.

When I lost my VW Menu,

I realized that there is still the Apple and VW main entry on the left.

And when I clicked on the VW Menu, my whole VW Menu came back ....

• Like 1

I am also running an M3 Max MacBook with two UHD monitors (3 screens total). Everything has been working fine for days... but just now (after a week of normal use) all new devices generated start black with all I/O labeled 'T', regardless of settings. Sometimes devices preview white, but execute black.Screenshot2024-04-19at11_35_00AM.thumb.png.ed54feffbb4d73f99254afcca894347f.png

On 4/19/2024 at 1:45 PM, Leon You said:

I updated to MacOS 14.4.1 and then lost the main menu of my Vectorworks update 4.1 (Build 750359).

This also makes my Vectorworks unusable.

My computer is a Mac Book Pro 2019 Intel chip laptop.

Anyone has the same issue?

截屏2024-04-19 上午10.19.34.png

This sounds very similar to the graphic switching issue from years ago.  Not sure why it would show up again after a macOS 14.x update, unless the update reset the battery option?  Try going to your System Preferences > Battery  and turn off Automatic Graphic switching option if available?

It sounds like there are various problems with MacOS 14.4.1, but the particular problem on our end (computer rebooting when toggling into Vectorworks) seems to have gone away by having Vectorworks live in its own workspace (or "desktop"). Might be worth a try for others. Basically we are running Vectorworks in Desktop 2 and every other application in Desktop 1.

Ever since I updated my MacBook Pro 2018 to Sonoma 14.4.1 and tried to work with Vectorworks, the screen just went black and the keyboard still worked. Since I didn't know at the beginning (about 3 weeks ago) that it was related to Vectorworks, I thought it was a macOS error. I then took the problem to the Apple Store who had no solution to the problem and finally told me my laptop had a hardware fault, which in retrospect made little sense, but I trusted the "professional" opinion of the salesman and bought a new Macbook as a result. Macbook Pro16 inch. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem, only now the entire Mac crashes as soon as Vectorworks and a few other programs are opened in parallel. Is there already a solution for this problem? I have already informed Apple about this several times and they tell me to wait until the next update comes, but unfortunately I don't have that time. I would be grateful for any information that would make my Vectorworks run reliably. 

30 minutes ago, JH21 said:

Ever since I updated my MacBook Pro 2018 to Sonoma 14.4.1 and tried to work with Vectorworks, the screen just went black and the keyboard still worked. Since I didn't know at the beginning (about 3 weeks ago) that it was related to Vectorworks, I thought it was a macOS error. I then took the problem to the Apple Store who had no solution to the problem and finally told me my laptop had a hardware fault, which in retrospect made little sense, but I trusted the "professional" opinion of the salesman and bought a new Macbook as a result. Macbook Pro16 inch. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem, only now the entire Mac crashes as soon as Vectorworks and a few other programs are opened in parallel. Is there already a solution for this problem? I have already informed Apple about this several times and they tell me to wait until the next update comes, but unfortunately I don't have that time. I would be grateful for any information that would make my Vectorworks run reliably. 

I've seen this issue now internally and have reported to Apple.

Would be curious if the suggestion mentioned above by jdlang19 helps in your case for now?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I've seen this issue now internally and have reported to Apple.

Would be curious if the suggestion mentioned above by jdlang19 helps in your case for now?

Thank you very much, I look forward to your feedback. 

I will try jdlang19's suggestion and report back. 

En 9/4/2024 a las 16:47, jdlang19 dijo:

Two Vectorworks users in our company have been experiencing similar issues with Sonoma 14.4.1 on Mac (laptop). The issue happens when you click or toggle into Vectorworks from another application. Mouse freezes, computer reboots. It happens a few times a day. Been working with our IT service as well as Vectoworks support for a couple weeks, no luck so far.

YES!! I use tab to change from adobe softwares (photoshop, indesign) to VW and that's when it crashes. This behaviour I try to avoid because I know it will crush but sometimes it also crashes while doing random stuff. Got a new MacBook Air m3 with 16gb ram and 512gb. 

On 4/26/2024 at 4:48 PM, jdlang19 said:

It sounds like there are various problems with MacOS 14.4.1, but the particular problem on our end (computer rebooting when toggling into Vectorworks) seems to have gone away by having Vectorworks live in its own workspace (or "desktop"). Might be worth a try for others. Basically we are running Vectorworks in Desktop 2 and every other application in Desktop 1.

That's very interesting. Can someone try to do this and let us know if it works or not? thanks. @astephens