Artifact in a viewport, looks like a shadow, but from what?

unearthed

Question

I've got an artifact in a viewport, it looks like a shadow - but from what? 
• There's nothing above this space to cast a shadow
• Nothing in drawing with an opacity setting other than 100%
• Viewport has no objects within it
• It is not from a 3D object as I've changed all 3D to 2D poly

If I zoom right in in sheetspace, it disappears. 

When I click through into the model, I can't see it at all and can't see what could be generating it.  I've drawn a red rectangle and put it on the bottom, and it looks like this artefact is on top

I can't load the model up on here client confidentiality.

artifact shadow Q.JPG

6 answers to this question

Thoughts

To me, this looks like an artifact eg from a dwg/dxf imported or converted file. Especially an arc with associated fill back to its center. Object might have custom attributes rather than “by class”.  I cannot explain the rounded corners. It might be a stray nested in a hybrid symbol (part of a former dwg block?), or in a group? The symbol/group extent is much larger than the shadow thing, so cannot be selected with marquee around the shadow. Try Select All and zoom to selection.

Might be worth an old fashioned search via class shutoffs. Make a duplicate test file with a saved view to return to current state, then turn off half of the classes.  If still visible, turn on that half and turn off the other half. If gone, turn on half of those, etc until the object’s class is isolated and the object can be found, selected, and interpreted.

-B

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Benson Shaw said:

Thoughts

To me, this looks like an artifact eg from a dwg/dxf imported or converted file. Especially an arc with associated fill back to its center. Object might have custom attributes rather than “by class”.  I cannot explain the rounded corners. It might be a stray nested in a hybrid symbol (part of a former dwg block?), or in a group? The symbol/group extent is much larger than the shadow thing, so cannot be selected with marquee around the shadow. Try Select All and zoom to selection.

Might be worth an old fashioned search via class shutoffs. Make a duplicate test file with a saved view to return to current state, then turn off half of the classes.  If still visible, turn on that half and turn off the other half. If gone, turn on half of those, etc until the object’s class is isolated and the object can be found, selected, and interpreted.

-B

Thanks Benson,

I managed to it's layer, but I'm struggling to get beyond that as it looks like a nested object. The file's quite messy and has gone through at least three people; a surveyor, an architect, and possibly others. It looks like a mix of AutoCAD, Revit, and Vectorworks.

I hope to be getting the original files soon, so that should reduce this problem. Searching for the artifact, I found other unusual features in the CAD but not the culprit.

It's quite different from the other bug people get where there's a line crossing the space.

• Like 1