Does anyone have experience with the Room Plan and Photos to 3d feature?

@Kevin Allen close as in you could use it to replace old school surveying with a tape measure?  Or to augment it?  I've used matterport and it seems to work well, helpful for those "Crap I forgot to measure that one thing" moment.  I still want a laser and a tape measure though.  

I'm more interested in the room plan feature rather than the photo to 3D.  I would use that for putting a chair in a render, probably just as you would.

24 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

close as in you could use it to replace old school surveying with a tape measure?  Or to augment it?

I guess it would depend on the final task. I see the Room Plan as a place to start. Then it would depend on the build and how close I needed the survey. If I needed a tight fit, I would measure everything. If I was adding a piece to a location, close enough.

• Like 1

Room Plan is that Apple AR tech that the Rhino iPhone app and a bunch of others use. Of all the available modes, it's the most Fisher Price. Probably not what you're looking for.

LiDAR Point Cloud is the most robust option. Take your time, move smoothly, try to "hold onto an edge" so it doesn't get lost. No need to scan flat surfaces (walls, floors, ceilings); just the corners and edges where those surfaces meet.

Photogrammetry is good too if that's your thing but it's not my tempo (too much work).

Thanks for the input.  I keep looking for a solution that is not an expensive scanner, but sounds like we are not there yet.  When I add up the costs of hours spent surveying+missed measurements+making things fit after the fact, I probably just need to get over it.  

10 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

LiDAR Point Cloud is the most robust option. Take your time, move smoothly, try to "hold onto an edge" so it doesn't get lost. No need to scan flat surfaces (walls, floors, ceilings); just the corners and edges where those surfaces meet.

I have to try LIDAR, new device that has the tech, but how does it deal with 'stuff' in rooms?

I think Room Plan accuracy is pretty usable.

About around what you measure with a pocket rule, concerning

plaster inaccuracies, slightly rotated or slanted Walls and such.

If accuracy is priority, of course you need to check consistency

with your laser meter. Similar for point cloud mode.

I think Room Plan is cool.

Unfortunately the created Meshes are so crap that you realistically

can't use them to create useful Solids, just as a snap underlay like

with the Point Clouds.

The main advantage of Room Plan is the small file size and its

AI hierarchy and naming in USD format.

It detects and sorts chairs, tables, cupboards, Walls, Floors, .....

Works great in Blender, not so much in VW with nested Groups.

A problem for me is that Room Plan rigidly ignores everything I

am really interested in, like Stairs, Beams, Ceilings, doesn't like

parapet Walls or such things.

But produces great sketches for visualizing your manual site

measuring.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...