Can I make this hatch repeat perfectly?

line-weight

Question

25 answers to this question

Yes that's it, well done. The only difference is that I'd have the dash factor on each level as slightly less than 0.5 to give a few small gaps but that's not important, the important thing is that it repeats infinitely without getting out of sync with itself. I couldn't work out why mine wasn't doing that. What did you change?

8 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Your file had units set to 1mm whereas I always work with mine set to 0.000001mm. There are lots of long numbers in the settings.

My strategy had been to get around rounding errors by putting exact numbers directly into the dialogue... which I thought ought to work geometrically but either I didn't work it out properly or VW is doing something to them behind the scenes.

I tried making your first hatched square 100 million units wide, and could see that some of the lines were starting to get out of sync, right at the edge.

1 minute ago, line-weight said:

My strategy had been to get around rounding errors by putting exact numbers directly into the dialogue... which I thought ought to work geometrically but either I didn't work it out properly or VW is doing something to them behind the scenes.

When I changed the units in your file to 6 decimal points the numbers in the hatch settings were not round. Not sure why.

Yes with the numbers I was using on a large enough scale the hatch will become out of sync, but I'm not mathematically minded enough to work out how you do it with all whole numbers. Not to mention the fact that VW seems to get very slow once you use hatches over too large an area...!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I corrected the ones that weren't quite round.... and it now repeats perfectly (even up to 100 million units away)

OK thats weird because when I tried that it didn't give the desired results hence I ended up redoing it from scratch! One day we'll have the automatic hatch maker + won't have to contend with any of this...

Ok I checked again + if I just edit the Offset Length parameter + make sure it's 4 in all cases, the hatch works + looks like this:Screenshot2023-11-17at19_41_32.thumb.png.c13ec1b85c48ddd9dc623fe5c5b8317b.png

But this is leaving the Repeat Length set to 5.656854. Previously when I looked at it I changed this to 6 across all levels + this was the result:

Screenshot2023-11-17at19_43_55.thumb.png.d435cd5fadded4695d12b332577372ca.png

This is why I abandoned ship + drew it out again.

@line-weight can you let me know what values you used, when you say you corrected the ones that weren't quite round, and what the end result was?

• Like 1

Ah, that's because I deliberately defined the repeat as ^X, ^Y rather than length and angle:

Screenshot2023-11-17at20_19_38.jpg.cf79e8ec7f860b233cc66e46e7f55d81.jpg

If you change that to the equivalent using length and angle it's:

Screenshot2023-11-17at20_19_31.jpg.4cb5be6770d479549f7dc096f8853281.jpg

My guess is that what has happened is that it's somehow converted from one to the other and back again without me noticing.

My original hatch (when the extra decimal places were revealed) had a few values set at things like 3.99987 instead of 4.

There's something a bit odd going on anyway because sometimes when I open the hatch settings I see this:

Screenshot2023-11-17at20_19_23.jpg.012c540df8d56345c1c822c7fd93e14f.jpg

Which is not right, of course.

• Like 2
On 11/18/2023 at 3:08 PM, Tobias Kern said:

Hi,

you can test this both hatches (one with gaps).

Angle: 45° 

File = VW 2024 + VW 2023

Made in the German version, with the feature Tom mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Greetings

Tobi

hatch v2023.vwx 156.23 kB · 0 downloads hatch v2024.vwx 167.39 kB · 1 download

Thanks, can confirm these seem to repeat perfectly over large distances. Even though, when I look at the settings for the hatches, they don't seem to be made from round numbers.

• Like 1
On 11/17/2023 at 4:31 PM, Tom W. said:

You know in the German VW they have a command that converts 2D geometry into a hatch automatically? I'd love to know how they came to have it + why no one has thought to offer it to everyone else.

Crazy! This would be great to have. Nothing makes me feel more dumb than trying to make a hatch in VW.

• Like 2

Hi,

today I created a Jira request that the script we can use in the German version

should also be made available for your version in the future.

Maybe I'll also get permission to share the script directly,
then you can test it to see if it works for you.

It is possible that the script is already included and is not integrated

into the menu of your installation.

The script is called: Convertir en hachure.vsm
and could be located in the Plug-Ins folder.

Best regards
Tobi

• Like 2