getting a consistent uv map

grant_PD

2 hours ago, grant_PD said:

For what it's worth, I did need to go through and line up the textures horizontally to get the map aligned across straights and curves, but it was not too bad.  I will still need to build a UV map that I can work with in a flattened elevation and then re-map it to these walls, but that will most likely be in c4d and not vw.

From memory, Autoplane works best with curved walls. UV mapping should work best but… 

@Kevin Allen Curving led has become pretty popular these days, so that is one reason to want an accurate map along these types of walls.  But also when I'm working with wall textures and want to rapid-protoype a look, it can be easier to build a flat graphic that can be messed with in photoshop and applied to the wall just as a texture.  

7 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

@Kevin Allen Curving led has become pretty popular these days, so that is one reason to want an accurate map along these types of walls.  But also when I'm working with wall textures and want to rapid-protoype a look, it can be easier to build a flat graphic that can be messed with in photoshop and applied to the wall just as a texture.  

agreed.

but for the record, when I see PBR I think Pabst, not Physically Based Rendering.

• Like 1
On 8/8/2023 at 6:23 PM, Mark Aceto said:

Check the box: Use world origin?

Since this was introduced in VW2023 I use it every time in preference over the previous 'Use world Z for origin' + I'm not clear why you'd now choose to use the latter over the former. Under what circumstances would you do so? And what effect is checking both meant to have?

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Since this was introduced in VW2023 I use it every time in preference over the previous 'Use world Z for origin' + I'm not clear why you'd now choose to use the latter over the former. Under what circumstances would you do so? And what effect is checking both meant to have?

Good question.

Thanks all for the help with this one.  Such a great community.

I think VW should take note of this thread, to get a consistent uv map across any surface (no matter how it undulates) should not be so difficult or cryptic.  I'm not asking for uv mapping akin to character uv mapping, which is its own artform, I'm just asking for a simple, wallpaper like form.

• Like 1