getting a consistent uv map

grant_PD

11 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

I've had and solved this problem, now if I could recall how? Yours is a shape and an extrude? Have you also tried a line and a tapered extrude?

Check the box: Use world origin?

Also, walls work great for me but extrudes go haywire (the opposite of what I hear is supposed to happen). UV mapping in VW is definitely interesting... (don't get me started on SubD).

OK..after much ado.  🙂

I attached an updated file 2022 format.

Cutting the chase...

1) your original object was an extrude along path...in which case it will never map the textures correctly on all 6 surfaces...

2) I did one example converting the surfaces to nurbs, which will work with a little tweaking for the direction / orientation of the texture on each face.  Pretty quick really, using flip/rotate, etc ( always use the Surface UV mapping for these kinds of objects, btw)

3) the last example was leaving your original extrude along path object, BUT using the texture face tool to address each face, tweaked accordingly.

I think these are the best offerings to resolve your dilemma...maybe other users can offer other solutions?

BACKWALL-Kev.vwx

Just out of curiosity @grant_PD have you tried just using the wall tool?? You can create a simple shape ( curves and all) and use 'convert to object' and choose the Wall option and it will create walls with all the curves, etc, THEN ( I haven't tried this) the rendered surfaces may render more to your liking?

Give it a try.

For what it's worth, I did need to go through and line up the textures horizontally to get the map aligned across straights and curves, but it was not too bad.  I will still need to build a UV map that I can work with in a flattened elevation and then re-map it to these walls, but that will most likely be in c4d and not vw.

• Like 1