texture mapping problem

joerg

Joe

Here is one method, I believe, where you can have some control of where some text will be placed as a texture on an object, JUST ONCE 🙂

You may need to mess with the Render settings a bit to move the text around on the exterior Nurbs surface. 

Some things to consider:

1) convert your extruded oval to nurbs surfaces...you should end up with 4...outside, inside top & bottom.

2) Do make sure you have your Shaded options set to very high.

3) When you create a texture from whatever text you wish to use, make sure that you use 'single', not 'infinite' and uncheck both repeat

Horizontally and Vertically....this way you end up with just one instance of the texture.

4) Select the outermost Nurbs surface, which should be one continuous surface, then apply your texture.  At this point you can move the text all over the place, on that shape, by using the controls within the Render Tab. DO make sure to use 'surface' option map type, and not any of the others. 🙂

See if this works for ya.It may seems like a lot of work, but really it is pretty quick and simple.

I attached my 2022 file, so mess around with the settings, etc. 

-Kev

TEXT WRAP 2022.vwx

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

Joe

Here is one method, I believe, where you can have some control of where some text will be placed as a texture on an object, JUST ONCE 🙂

You may need to mess with the Render settings a bit to move the text around on the exterior Nurbs surface. 

Some things to consider:

1) convert your extruded oval to nurbs surfaces...you should end up with 4...outside, inside top & bottom.

2) Do make sure you have your Shaded options set to very high.

3) When you create a texture from whatever text you wish to use, make sure that you use 'single', not 'infinite' and uncheck both repeat

Horizontally and Vertically....this way you end up with just one instance of the texture.

4) Select the outermost Nurbs surface, which should be one continuous surface, then apply your texture.  At this point you can move the text all over the place, on that shape, by using the controls within the Render Tab. DO make sure to use 'surface' option map type, and not any of the others. 🙂

See if this works for ya.It may seems like a lot of work, but really it is pretty quick and simple.

I attached my 2022 file, so mess around with the settings, etc. 

-Kev

TEXT WRAP 2022.vwx 203.55 kB · 0 downloads

Very clear & succinct, thanks @Kevin K

Joe

Another thought related to what you wish to do with adding text to a 3d object, and in this scenario, I think you may be better off rather than than messing with trying to use the text as a texture, seems to me.

Just type your text, in this case, in an elevational view, NOT top plan, and convert the text to polylines from the text menu item.

Then you have the advantage of extruding the text lettering a bit, moving text where you want it,  and even color or texture each letter of the text, if you wish. 

Point being, you have a few more options using the methodology. 

You can simply place and/or nudge the text a micron in front of the surface of your 3d object.

If you need to apply the text to a curved surface, you can deform each letter a bit, although this is a bit more advanced 🙂

I did do this to a few letters of text so you can sort of see in a top plan view how that works. I just gave a few of the letters a little 'Bend' with the deformer tool. IF you can just keep things simple and apply the text in front of a flat surface things will go really quick!

I attached an updated 2022 file as a reference.

Hope this helps.

-Kev

1695595956_ScreenShot2022-10-21at11_32_14AM.thumb.png.0ebf0980136d4c72679a7f6d1a55263c.png

TEXT WRAP 2-2022.vwx

• Like 3

Joe

You really opened up Pandora's box here 🙂

Not really sure the purpose of your extruded oval, but one last thought if you do choose to convert the text to polylines, then extrude them...you can 'subtract solids' so the text lettering is set back a bit and subtracted from the extruded oval.  Gives the inset text a

a little dimensionality. 

107874874_TEXTINRELIEF.thumb.png.4e4e2f1df1c81bde5211da718cfec061.png

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Kevin K said:

If you need to apply the text to a curved surface, you can deform each letter a bit, although this is a bit more advanced 🙂

I did do this to a few letters of text so you can sort of see in a top plan view how that works. I just gave a few of the letters a little 'Bend' with the deformer tool. IF you can just keep things simple and apply the text in front of a flat surface things will go really quick!

I think you've cracked it @Kevin K. To make it easier you can use Add Solids to make a single Solid Addition from the individual letters which you can then Deform as a single object

1400045077_Screenshot2022-10-22at16_04_19.thumb.png.8ef4ab9a2af2590358f160f13be62aa4.png

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 2