Locked items should not be clickable

MHBrown

Question

This is a wish list item, but I could not figure out how to access the wish list. I'm hoping it makes it somehow.

I often draw on top of PDF floor plans. When I do, I lock them so I don't inadvertently move them. Often I am zoomed way in on the floor plan when I notice I can't select anything. Imagine my amazement when I look over to the OIP and see that I have selected the locked underlay AND it cannot be unselected. The fact that it cannot be unselected is moot because the darn thing should not be able to be selected in the first place. Here is how it should work: locked items CAN be snapped to, but not selected. That should be a part of the "locked" attribute, in my opinion anyway. If this is something I can adjust, please let me know.

Thanks and sorry for posting this out of place.,

MHBrown

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Andy Broomell said:

When tracing PDFs and images, I find the best way is to put it on a separate Design Layer, stacked below your working Design Layer, and set Layer Options to Show Others. Then it will be visible to you but invisible to the mouse.

Not bad.

But every now and then you may want to have more than one Layer editable.

Then "Show others" as a global Setting will not work.

And unfortunately, if you try to set your PDF's Layer or Class to "Gray"

it will no more show its Content.

(Or was it my other CAD ?)

• Like 2

"How would you unlock it"

Well, off the top of my head:

1. Menu / Unlock

2. Unlock/ Unlock All and Unlock Selected

3. Pick "All" or "Selected"

4. If "Selected" is chosen, then the now highlighted locked items (or groups thereof) are identified for selection.

5. Close menu or, if you like, use one of the little green check boxes found elsewhere.

This is just one way. It may have some faults, but I'm sure there are many other ways to accomplish something this simple.

I think the best advice, however, is to make it a different layer or class and work with the visibility attributes, as Andy suggests. Thanks everyone!

MHBrown

On 9/20/2022 at 12:45 AM, MHBrown said:

"How would you unlock it"

Well, off the top of my head:

1. Menu / Unlock

2. Unlock/ Unlock All and Unlock Selected

3. Pick "All" or "Selected"

4. If "Selected" is chosen, then the now highlighted locked items (or groups thereof) are identified for selection.

5. Close menu or, if you like, use one of the little green check boxes found elsewhere.

This is just one way. It may have some faults, but I'm sure there are many other ways to accomplish something this simple.

I think the best advice, however, is to make it a different layer or class and work with the visibility attributes, as Andy suggests. Thanks everyone!

MHBrown

Yes choose action then object instead of the other way. 

Would be a handy logic to many tools. 

• Like 1