Extrudes only rendering solid from certain angles.

wclights

Question

Hi all,

I am trying to do some preview rendering in Vectorworks 2022 and I am finding that Vectorworks is hollowing out my extrudes, but only from certain angles. If I render Final Quality from Top View or from high front angle it shows my extrudes as solids, but then if I move the camera left or right even a bit it won't render. If I go to Shaded I can see from the working angles that the extrudes are solid and that from the not working angles they are becoming hollow. I made sure my extrudes were closed (I even redrew them just to be sure) and quitting and rebooting still produce the same results. I am referencing the extrudes from other files, but it's happening to them in the original files as well. When I tried drawing a new extrude in my main file the same problem persisted. Has anyone run into this bug and have any helpful suggestions? It's not world ending, but it's certainly annoying to find such a detrimental bug this far into the release.

Thanks,

Will

7 answers to this question

8 hours ago, markdd said:

Are you able to convert them to generic solids? This fixed the problems I had been having. 

Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. Hopefully they get a patch out soon, but I bet they're just gonna sit on it until they release 2023.

Interesting. I experienced something like this today for the first time using SP4 and in a clean file. I was troubleshooting another issue I posted in the Entertainment forum. The extrude was rendering with white edges in a sheet layer viewport using Shaded with edges on. When I converted it to a generic solid it rendered with black edges as expected. There's definitely some rendering weirdness right now.

Kevin

• Like 1

Cannot reproduce the anomalies.  

2022SP4.  No vwx files open. Several other apps running, but no files open in background.

Opened a new vwx 1:1 file, made an extrude from a rectangle near origin, created a cropped SLVP.

Rendered Shaded and Final in design layer and sheet layer.

Rendered with drawing status in both white background and dark background.

Testd VP in 72ppi and 300ppi.

DL and SLVP Shaded edges always correct depending on background color.

All faces render in Design Layer during active flyover.

-B

On 7/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, Pat Stanford said:

VW2022SP4 was released last week. If you don't have it, get it and see if that solves the problem.

Still happening in the original file with SP4. Possibly just SOL on that file.

On 7/2/2022 at 12:40 PM, markdd said:

In the meantime, can you put one of the problem extruded objects into a clean file and post it here? It may be worth checking that the problem is universal and not just a problem your end. I'll then post a bug report.

When I copy into a clean file now I cannot reproduce the issue, even though when I did that as one of my own troubleshooting things before posting it would happen every time. Only difference is I am on SP4 now so that probably did fix the issue. Won't help with the current show as I'm too far into the process to start fresh, but at least I can breathe easy knowing I probably won't run into this again on my next file. Thanks all!