Jump to content
  • 7
Matster

Streamdeck integration.

Question

I use a Streamdeck (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck) for various functionality in software packages (AutoCAD, Outlook, Chrome, gaming etc) and I was wondering if anyone had set-up a profile for Vectorworks?

 

I've kicked one off, but creating fancy GUI's isn't my strongest point, here's a Link if anyone's interested (it is still very much work in progress!). I'm not precious, if anyone has done a better version, I'd be certainly interested.

 

What I've done works for my needs as of now, and I've just bought a 3DConnexion Spacemouse, the plan is to have this and the Stream deck to emulate a poor mans SpaceMouse Enterprise (as I already own the Streamdeck and use for other applications!).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Following! I have a streamdeck but have not yet made my profile fancy.

 

I would really want the native tool pics to be part of the profile. I can retrieve toolset pic files from a workspace file. But the tool pics themselves I have not yet found a way. 

 

Streamdeck now has has a SDK for developers so maybe the VWX team could create a nice streamdeck plugin? Just like they support 3dConnexion? 

 

@Jim Wilson any chance? 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

So I got motivated to make a nice Stream Deck profile.

 

I used the standard VWX tools and menu's structure at first. I can imaging ordering it to most used functions later on.

 

95% of the shortcuts are the native vwx shortcuts. I'm on a mac so al shortcuts are with CMD instead of CTRL.

 

Not all tools that have a hotkey have a shortcut set yet. But all tools have a hotkey. (i didn't add the tools from the toolsets: Furniture/fixtures, Dims/notes, detailling, fasteners, machine components. It's a time consumer to alter all those tool pics and had enough of it. Anyone feels like doing those?)

 

Still would be amazing if VWX could write a fancy and perhaps dynamic plugin, maybe it could work similar to a Macbook pro's Touch Bar? Also maybe not all tools would need a keyboard shortcut to work with the stream deck.

 

By the way, only just finished this and didn't thoroughly test al the keys.

 

Hope you like it.

 

177806942_ScreenShot2019-04-02at23_06_28.thumb.png.4002890ae1ab24dd9888c13ec68dc99d.png

VWX.streamDeckProfile.zip

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

That looks nice @Sebastiaan! I think i i'll use it and maybe port a few of my controls onto yours and have a play.

 

things that would be useful are some preset move-by-points (0,1,10 etc), also i made a macro (esc,esc,esc,x,x,x) to get me out of any selection i had and added a resource toggle, but mine was a bit rubbish and done on the fly, i think i'll start using yours 😀

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Matster said:

That looks nice @Sebastiaan! I think i i'll use it and maybe port a few of my controls onto yours and have a play.

 

things that would be useful are some preset move-by-points (0,1,10 etc), also i made a macro (esc,esc,esc,x,x,x) to get me out of any selection i had and added a resource toggle, but mine was a bit rubbish and done on the fly, i think i'll start using yours 😀

 

Glad you like it! Would you feel like making the remaining tool pics in return ;-)?

 

The escape macro sounds like a goed idea, but I presume that if you're in a 4th group you would have to press again?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Sebastiaan said:

 

Glad you like it! Would you feel like making the remaining tool pics in return ;-)?

 

The escape macro sounds like a goed idea, but I presume that if you're in a 4th group you would have to press again?

 

if someone from the Vectorworks team sends us the icon picture, it wouldn't take too long!

 

not sure what you mean by the 4th group, I've only been using Vectorworks for about a month lol!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Just now, Matster said:

 

if someone from the Vectorworks team sends us the icon picture, it wouldn't take too long!

 

not sure what you mean by the 4th group, I've only been using Vectorworks for about a month lol!

I'll pm you 😉

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

If you're on a Mac, you should be able to get at them directly, the "2x" ones are the ones for high res displays:

Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks 2019⁩ ▸ (Show Package Contents on 2019 app)⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Resources⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks.vwr⁩ ▸ ⁨Images⁩

 

However I've attached a zip of that folder in case any Windows users need them, as I think its harder to get at them from that OS. The naming and folder structure wasn't meant to be user friendly, but searching for a tool name within this zip should find what you need.

Images.zip

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

If you're on a Mac, you should be able to get at them directly, the "2x" ones are the ones for high res displays:

Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks 2019⁩ ▸ (Show Package Contents on 2019 app)⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Resources⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks.vwr⁩ ▸ ⁨Images⁩

 

However I've attached a zip of that folder in case any Windows users need them, as I think its harder to get at them from that OS. The naming and folder structure wasn't meant to be user friendly, but searching for a tool name within this zip should find what you need.

Images.zip

 

Hey @Jim Wilson

 

Thanks for that. For some reason, most of the spotlight tools, and also some others can not be found. Not in the application package, nor in the plugins folder. VWspotlight.vwr for instance does not contain images. Can't find them anywhere else too, which makes me think they are hidden in each tools own .vso. Would you guys be willing to share those pics in a package?

 

And any chance on a fancy plugin for stream deck?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, Sebastiaan said:

And any chance on a fancy plugin for stream deck?

That'll depend on interest! The more votes this thread gets, the more likely. I'll take a look and see if the rest of icons can be pulled from elsewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Mine just arrived tonight!   Very interesting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Pretty cool.  It seems to have no lag when triggering keyboard shortcuts.  I little bit of lag when stacking lots of them.  

 

Rather than use it for keyboard shortcuts my fingers already know, I've been playing with using it for combinations of shortcuts that I do over and over.  (Duplicate and move 16" up, down, left, right)

 

I'm thinking it would be great to replace script palettes.  I could give scripts keyboard shortcuts that I have no hope of remembering and give them icons…

 

Even if it doesn't work out for VW, I've already built a workspace for another app I use all the time that will be very helpful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

There are also tons of ways that you can use it beyond specific apps, i.e. I have found in a month or so of us that my most commonly used buttons are direct links to the folder in my dropbox for the shows I'm working on the most, direct links to websites that I visit the most and a whole variety of text entry shortcuts for things I type a lot....and that's without even getting into stacking up a lot of multiple commands!

It would be nice to avoid having to do the whole create-shortcut dance to use it with VW, especially as I go back and forth between different machines and use different workspaces for each (laptop vs desktop)....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×