Bret

Resource Manager - Thumbnail Issues (Windows)

Question

1. On my machine, I do not see anything in the resource browser preview pane unless I actually have the file open in VW. If the file containing symbols is open, I see a preview. If not, it's entirely blank.
  2. Sometimes (not always) those previews are incorrectly scaled and do not show everything in the symbol. See the attached screenshot...note that three of the thumbnails are not shown correctly, but the "Title Block" one actually does encompass the entire symbol. "Set Thumbnail View" is set to Top/Plan, and "Set Thumbnail Render Mode" is set to Wireframe, although it doesn't appear that changing either option makes a difference.

Just wondering if there are settings I can change which will fix these or if they're known issues. Anyone know? Thanks.

2018_02-27 Truncated Notes VW2018.PNG

7 answers to this question

5ad57cea097c1_ThumbnailIssue.thumb.PNG.103d7d1acee7afb25d99b5542b126018.PNG

I have a similar issue with symbols when trying to use the Isometric view for the thumbnails. I build the libraries in 2017, but now whenever I edit a symbol and exit, the thumbnail re-draws, but only zooms in on one small section of the actual symbol. See the highlighted symbol is the only one I have edited. If I enter 'edit 3D' on any other symbol and exit, it will re-draw the thumbnail similarly.

It's been a while without any official response to this one, and this issue definitely hamstrings the Resource browser for us.

@JimW, is there a better place for this? Known Issues, perhaps? Any way to find out if it's been logged as a bug?

Thanks!

I spoke with our local distributor OzCAD about this issue and I was informed it had been Officially placed as a 'Major" bug as of the 21st of March this year.

Found a few bugs related to this and they are scheduled to be fixed, however I do not know when the fix will come.

This may be a different issue, and slightly unrelated, but I too was having issues with getting my thumbnails to appear correctly, which was driving me crazy.

I am on the Mac OS.  I noticed that I could not get thumbnail previews to show up unless I was in a Top Plan View.  They wouldn't work if I was in a 3d perspective view. 

At least I figured out the quirk.  But why?

A lot of times the thumbnails for many of my symbols just disappear. It's been happening for years and I've never known why...

The thumbnails typically disappear when you edit the symbol.  To get them back, apparently, you have to re-set the thumbnail view via the resource browser, in a top-plan view.