ptoner

IFC export of a 16 story building takes over 45mins

Question

Having issues exporting an ifc file. Everything converts and exports as it should, yet it takes 45mins plus for it to process and complete.
File size, after purging is 370mb approx.
Stories all set up correctly, for each of the 16 stories. Set in plan/top view when exporting, 3D conversion is "low" and most settings are as per the Vectorworks "Sharing your model with IFC" Document.

Really is poor, as it means that no drawing work can be done until after the export. ArchiCAD users in the office export larger buildings than this in under a min in work. 

Any further tips? or is this standard for VW?

You can see from the attached image, there is not a lot of detail in the model.

Also attached is my computer specs. Its a top of the range iMac

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 07.58.06.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 08.00.01.jpg

Edited by ptoner

9 answers to this question

I take it no one has actual experience of exporting .ifc' s then. 

On 20.12.2017 at 5:38 PM, ptoner said:

3D conversion is "low

This will only help if you have some curved geometry like cylindrical columns and such.

(Or things like furniture Symbols !)

It can't reduce geometry of rectangular geometry like straight Walls and such.

Yes IFC exports take a lot of time in VW and need a lot of RAM.

Geometry expensive Furniture Symbols can have a large impact.

Especially for exports where the may not export as Symbols/instances but separate objects.

I have not much experience if that works faster in other Apps or if there is still much potential

for improvements in VW.

On 08/01/2018 at 2:19 PM, zoomer said:

This will only help if you have some curved geometry like cylindrical columns and such.

(Or things like furniture Symbols !)

It can't reduce geometry of rectangular geometry like straight Walls and such.

Yes IFC exports take a lot of time in VW and need a lot of RAM.

Geometry expensive Furniture Symbols can have a large impact.

Especially for exports where the may not export as Symbols/instances but separate objects.

I have not much experience if that works faster in other Apps or if there is still much potential

for improvements in VW.

No furniture in the model, walls, doors, floors, ceilings and curtain walling mainly.

Yeah. that's the only thing that we could pin it on. Hope the curtain walling is made more efficient down the line.

I've had IFC file imports take many hours (3-10) so exporting could easily be similar.

My only thought to help would be to break it into many smaller parts (by floor??) but still not a good solution.

Thats pretty pathetic, seems we are continually going to have at least one machine , out of use when exporting/importing IFC etc. 
That is not good! 
How come ArchiCAD can do it in minutes, with the same file?
This needs urgently looked at IMO.

Hi ptoner,

If you want to speedup your IFC Export  - please, switch to OpenGL and zoom in close to the building, so that nothing from the building is visible.

Regards,

Mihail RIzov

3 minutes ago, Mihail Rizov said:

If you want to speedup your IFC Export  - please, switch to OpenGL and zoom in close to the building, so that nothing from the building is visible.

I always have OpenGL on, still it takes forever.

Zooming into the building speeds it up, bizarre. Will try it anyways, cause at this stage anything is better than what it is.