New MacBook Pro and LG 5K display

If you render in drawing viewport in RW mode and it has a higher resolution

it will take longer. Like in Viewports with higher DPI setting most render modes

will need more time when rendering more pixels.

Also 3D OpenGL should get a bit slower.

But there are also tasks in rendering which are resolution independent so it doesn't

mean a 1:1 slow down. Also Retina iMacs aren't slower than their predecessors.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Andrew Davies said:

Hello

Am I right in saying that rendering time is also affected by the resolution of the monitor you are using?

If so, would that mean that if I bought a 5K display, rendering times would increase dramatically due to the high DPI?

or have I misunderstood?!

Yes, if you render right on the design layer, a higher resolution monitor will take longer to render since there are more pixels to be handled. Renderings on sheet layers within viewports as mentioned above will not be affected by screen resolution, only the DPI setting of the sheet layer and the size of the viewport relative to the page.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification!  That makes sense.  I only render in viewports so should be ok.

Am sure there is loads written about this already, so without wanting to open a can of worms, how does the GPU stack up on the new MacBook Pro?

Am writing this post on one now - it has been fine with VW so far.

Edited by Andrew Davies

The 15" models with the dedicated AMD Radeon Pro 450/455 seems to be doing well. I had initially been irritated that they went with a custom card but they were just the unveiling of that particular Radeon model, theyre basically the FireGL/Fire Pro series so while expensive, they perform well.

I have had many users with the 13" models report slowness but I have not had first hand experience with one, we only have the 15" Touch Bar models so far in house.

51 minutes ago, JimW said:

The 15" models with the dedicated AMD Radeon Pro 450/455 seems to be doing well. I had initially been irritated that they went with a custom card but they were just the unveiling of that particular Radeon model, theyre basically the FireGL/Fire Pro series so while expensive, they perform well.

I have had many users with the 13" models report slowness but I have not had first hand experience with one, we only have the 15" Touch Bar models so far in house.

We have a staffer who was complaining that her 13" is both slow and buggy.  She was blaming VW2017, but I think it is the intel integrated graphics.  When she moves a door in a wall - things disappear and do not upgrade correctly.  I was not able to reproduce so I blamed her new computer. 

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Any information on the difference in performance of the 450/455 and the 460 option?

Strange,

Barefeats has no direct comparison between the 2 GPU.

Only 13" vs 15" maxed out.

I think this the most interesting link :

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-Pro-460-vs-Radeon-Pro-450

The rest you would have to compare barefeats 460 and the lots of other sites testing 450 only,

maybe there is a comparable or same benchmark anywhere.

2 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

I went for the higher 460 option.  All seems to be ok - though difficult to tell.  New OS, new VWX and new laptop..

Happy to run some tests if anyone wants?

@Andrew Davies- perhaps running Cinebench might give a baseline performance score for your new MBP with Radeon Pro 460.

Take a look at this thread where JimW has posted some GPU scores from his internal Cinebench testing.

Edited by rDesign
8 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

We have a staffer who was complaining that her 13" is both slow and buggy.  She was blaming VW2017, but I think it is the intel integrated graphics.  When she moves a door in a wall - things disappear and do not upgrade correctly.  I was not able to reproduce so I blamed her new computer. 

I'd say 2017 is more the problem than the hardware.

2016 runs noticeably better on older hardware than 2013 (and 2014 from all the I've heard). While 2017 is a significant drain on performance and runs worse all the hardware thrown at so far.  

• Like 1

2017 has slightly heavier system requirements than 2016 and much heavier than 2015 and prior. A combination of weak hardware and upgrading to 2017 will absolutely cause slowness, but the disappearing or flickering object issues are bugs when they occur on hardware that meets minimum system specs.