Closing an Object Copied from Illustrator

rkt25

Question

This is probably a fairly simple question and its driving me absolutely mad. I was using the 2013 version at work and we recently upgraded to 2017. In the old version, when I copied an outlined object from Adobe Illustrator and pasted it into Vectorworks, all I had to do was check the 'Close" box on the righthand side and then I could manipulate it as though I created it in VW (extrude, bevel, etc). Now in 2017, I can't fide this 'close' box to save my life. I had only been using VW for about a year before upgrading, so I don't know the ins and outs. Is it hiding somewhere? It is not an option anymore? Please help! Thanks

Edited by rkt25

7 answers to this question

Something weird is going on with Illustrator. I don't have Illustrator, so I can't track it down from here, but maybe I can help with some more background information.

Normally after you CUT or COPY an object the clipboard contains the data in multiple different formats. Then when you Paste, the program choose the version that it thinks will work best. Some applications give you different choices of how the data is stored into the clipboard. Some Application give you different choices on how the data is pulled from the clipboard (Paste Special in Word and Excel).

Take a look at the menus in Illustrator and see if there is a Copy As type command.

Check your VW menus and make sure the keyboard shortcuts are correct for the type of PASTE you are doing.

If you are using a Custom Workspace, especially if it has been migrated from VW2013, try one of the stock workspaces and see if that gets you a better result.

If none of the above work, make a small sample file in Illustrator and a VW file showing the improper import and send them directly to VW tech support so they can try and figure out what is happening. Make sure you give them the exact versions of Illustrator, VW, and operating system so they can try to replicate.