Question

So... Materials, or Building Materials.

This is a big one, and a concept/feature we are actively looking into developing. For me personally this is a more difficult feature to properly frame out, as I feel I may lack sufficient industry knowledge to detail what such a feature would include. To that end, I am requesting your comments, concerns and any other input regarding the scope of your needs and how we can best meet them.

Now, this is not to say that as of this post we BEGIN developing Materials, talk about this internally has been going on for a long time and many of our distributors (some of them accomplished architects and designers in their own right) have been providing us with wishes and other suggestions, but this thread will concentrate on specific user needs that I will curate and add to internal planning pages for use by engineering since I am sure there will be a great deal.

I won't merge the other existing threads since many of them have tangents to things I feel are a bit outside the scope of this feature, so this will be the new home for this discussion.

I have pulled input from many existing threads, (Special thanks to @digitalmechanics, @zoomer, @Chris D, @Dieter @ DWorks, @Christiaan and many others whose threads and posts I stole from) as well as from competitors feature lists. Feel free to link in any I may have missed that have missing key points to advance this initial list:

1) Materials must be assignable to any object, 2D or 3D, with the 3D aspects of the Material simply left out of 2D scenarios.

2) Users must be able to not only rely on an extensive default catalog of Materials, but be able to add new Materials themselves from scratch.

3) Materials must be a resource type available in the resource manager with all the current share-ability of current resources via workgroup folders.

4) Users must be able to update a source Material resource and have that push the update to all instances where a Material is used.

5) Materials must include Line Styles for both the 2D and 3D edges of geometry, separate control for section vs non-section views.

6) Materials must include Hatch settings for both the 2D and 3D faces of geometry, separate control for section vs non-section views.

7) Materials must include Tile settings for both the 2D and 3D faces of geometry, separate control for section vs non-section views.

8) Materials must include Textures.

9) It must be possible to generate reports on the volume, weight, density, cost, surface area, exposed surface area, and thermal properties.

10) The same Material needs to be applicable to wall, slab, roof components as well as solids. Duplicates should not need to be created for each type of object to inherit the Material's settings.

11) Materials need to (optionally) have the ability to determine the joins for wall, slab and roof components contextually. Each of these types of joins needs to be user definable.

12) What aspects a Material inherits from the resource should be controllable similarly to Door and Window Types, where users are able to select certain fields that use the Material resource and then allow for overrides for that particular object's particular field value.

If I have completely or partially missed the mark with this list, feel free to correct me.

• Like 1

I would Call them :

Classes => Classes (you remember I would call these Layers)
RW Textures => Render Materials
Materials => Building Materials

Classes are needed and still have to do a lot of jobs.
Visibilities, Editabilities, Transparencies, Attribute Overwriting, 2D Appearance, ... (Lock Freeze, Render, C4D/FBX Export, ...)

Building Materials, beside their Data and Information, 3D Appearance, Render Material assignment, ...
may also overwrite Classes Settings, if needed.

• Like 1

1) Materials must be assignable to any construction object, by component of walls, slabs, roofs etc, as well as for custom 3D solids.

Materials must be assignable to any object, including 2D objects.

• Like 1

So currently showing Hatches only.
But would show full 3D info when Extruded ?

Depends on how Nemetschek plans to implement materials.

Will VW have the inbuilt intelligence to determine if an object is cut or is in section?

If so, then all of the graphical attributes of an object (2D plan, 3D, section attributes, fills, textures and hatches) could all be incuded in the class - VW then intelligently determines how to display the object depending on the view. This approach could support how users currently use classes. So essentially, "materials" is an additional feature/function of a class, which a user initiates depending on the need.

But in developing materials, you also need to think about how it will work with live sections, as these two features are twins IMO.

3) Materials must be a resource type available in the resource manager with all the current share-ability of current resources via workgroup folders.

If materials are imported from the resource manager, import of classes from standard files should also be possible in the resource manager.

• Like 1

"Overrides" are always a less-than-ideal solution. The design goal for building materials should be that we don´t need overrides in 99,5% of the cases.

A bad example would be wall styles, where we need "overrides" in the form of duplicate styles, unstyled walls etc. all the time.

Edited by Thomas Wagensommerer
  • Like 1

Hi Jim,

So after a fair bit of time for the concept to sink in and hopefully be subject to some in-house development.

How do you see Materials handling different "states'  for Existing, New and Removed/Demolished?

Will we need 3 versions of the same or will each material a number of states procedurally?

Could a material know to tone down line-weight, Plan/Section fill to black or dark, Turn off the surface hatch when existing not new?

11 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Hi Jim,

So after a fair bit of time for the concept to sink in and hopefully be subject to some in-house development.

How do you see Materials handling different "states'  for Existing, New and Removed/Demolished?

Will we need 3 versions of the same or will each material a number of states procedurally?

Could a material know to tone down line-weight, Plan/Section fill to black or dark, Turn off the surface hatch when existing not new?

That seems like it would be handled by classes.  Maybe New is the default but then have class overrides for existing and demo.

• Like 1

i would like to have the materials be something that resides in the cloud at VW HQ where we can all work from a single source of truth for the basics then add in our own information locally...then VW can continue to add in items to the basic over time...like a wikipedia type thing