C4D Textures - Importing Black

Tom Klaber

Question

15 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Actually, stand by, I may just be dumb. Apparently there is another method of saving C4D file that includes associated resource and when I made this sample I did not do that, so the sample C4D file I posted does not have the image shaders or other guts that Vectorworks would need in order to display them properly. I'll do a writeup of all of this as well as a suggested workflow for getting the materials from C4D into Textures in Vectorworks. If I have posted erroneous information before now I apologize, I'll speak on this again once I get cleared up.

• Like 1
On 9/14/2016 at 0:12 PM, JimW said:

Actually, stand by, I may just be dumb. Apparently there is another method of saving C4D file that includes associated resource and when I made this sample I did not do that, so the sample C4D file I posted does not have the image shaders or other guts that Vectorworks would need in order to display them properly. I'll do a writeup of all of this as well as a suggested workflow for getting the materials from C4D into Textures in Vectorworks. If I have posted erroneous information before now I apologize, I'll speak on this again once I get cleared up.

@JimW- Have you had a chance to clarify & put together a write-up of the suggested workflow for using C4D textures in Vectorworks? Thanks.

51 minutes ago, rDesign said:

@JimW- Have you had a chance to clarify & put together a write-up of the suggested workflow for using C4D textures in Vectorworks? Thanks.

You can import any C4D File by import C4D "Textures".

If it contains standard C4D Materials (no VRAY Materials) it will create a Ressource Folder in your VW file

with the name of the C4D file and load these in.

If you have already "RW Textures" with same names, it will change the name to "SameName-1".

It will load in Image Textures and standard Material values.

All 4 VW Material Channels will be set to "imported" but can be changed and edited.

As C4D Materials have no Texture size, that happens there with assignments per Object later,

you will have to check and assign a proper "RW Texture" size.

If C4D Materials used any Reflection Shader other than "legacy Reflection", you will not notice in RM Preview

but these will simple Render completely black. In this case you should change the VW Reflection Channel

from "imported" to any suitable RW reflection type and it should work.

• Like 1