Custom Renderworks Textures

I often need to create my own Renderworks Textures based on veneers we will be using on a project. One issue I have often is pointed out in the attached image by the red arrows. I would prefer the grain lines to be continuous so there is no interruption of a butt joint periodically. I have adjusted the "Set by Image" area to no avail. Have also played with many of the settings in the Edit Texture box but, also to no avail. Can someone offer some advise on this? As always, beyond appreciative for this resource and ability to gain knowledge from others. Thanks so much.

Grant is correct. This is a texture image issue not a Vectorworks problem. It will take a little finessing as there also appears to be some inconsistent lighting from one side to the other on the texture image. There are good tutorials on the web to help with that too. All the best.

The above suggestions are the way to go if you have skills and additional software.

Here are some other ideas:

Your credenza shows that the texture is tilling at about half the length of the longest drawer. You can scale the texture in the OIP render tab, or edit the image shader in the texture to resize it (scales uniformly in x and y) then only part of the image is used but it "covers" the drawer front with no seams.

Or,in Vectorworks, extract the image from the texture (or use your original image if you have it). Place the image as a bitmap on a Vectorworks design layer and just drag the corners. Export the stretched object as an image (eg to desktop), then import it into vwx as an image resource, then make a new texture from it. But sometimes the resulting texture looks, well, stretched.

Another workaround is to capture more of the wood so that the image you use to build the texture reveals a longer/wider swath of the board(s) than the objects needing texture. If the boards you photograph for your textures are still available, and if they are long/wide enough, move the camera back for a new photo, or zoom back, so that enough of the board is in the frame. Crop out unneeded background. Problems with this include all the usual problems of photography - lens distortion, loss of sharpness from increased distance, uneven lighting, etc, etc.

Good luck!

-B

Hi, this texture is similar and i worked it over on Photoshop to get a larger sample by book matching it so hopefully it will help.

Sorry just changed the image as it had a slither of whit in the overlap.

Hopefully this one is ok

Edited by Alan Woodwell