Sign in to follow this  
QfanatiQ

As it is a wish list - Stability and decent workability please

Question

I have used a variety of packages. VW is hard going for anything on a larger scale than a few houses.

I'd really appreciate the VW team doing some hard and deep R&D by looking at all other CAD packages and deciding what they want their package to be and make it work.

Getting a outlook to concentrate on and moving forward.

One think I love about VW is the auto save per X number of functions done. Believe me I need it!

Crash Free Satibiliteeee pleeease.

Thanks

Q

Q, as you and Christiaan pointed out, different methods of use on similar or the same PC can raise different stability issues.

i'm still using 2011, but managed to reduce Crashes by modifying my use. i don't now if 2012 is still laden with bucket loads of ancient code, but hitting many shortcuts in succession(as was my habit) and expecting VW to respond caused endless frustration.

Patience improves VW's attitude imensely. Not that we should ever have to wait, but reserved caution goes quite a way to reducing them.

Patience improves VW's attitude imensely. Not that we should ever have to wait, but reserved caution goes quite a way to reducing them.

I am not used ot using a program that does not respond to normal use.

This is the only program I use in my profession that I do not feel is professional but has potential (in it's output for graphical representation).

We struggle on and hope things will get better.

Poor man's BIM

Then I have the right software :grin:

Edited by Kizza

i'm still using 2011, but managed to reduce Crashes by modifying my use. i don't now if 2012 is still laden with bucket loads of ancient code, but hitting many shortcuts in succession(as was my habit) and expecting VW to respond caused endless frustration.

Patience improves VW's attitude imensely. Not that we should ever have to wait, but reserved caution goes quite a way to reducing them

There are some things when using VW - when I do them - save before - and then wait - then continue

In my view NV has some issues to sort

Q,

Please contact our tech support, or your distributor, so the crashing problems can be documented properly and addressed by our engineers.

JWO, thanks for your offer. I will pass this onto our IT.

Just recently they have been asking for our crash reports. But I was not aware if these then go any further.

cmd S

liberally & often

I have the auto save (any VW version) set to every 15 commands. This has served me well.

"Ozzie" and "bcd"

Cmd and S keys on all my keyboards i've ever owned are always the first to lose their markings. :)

Current is the first to survive a year with letters still in tact . . . . . :)

cmd S

liberally & often

I have the auto save (any VW version) set to every 15 commands. This has served me well.

I have autosave every 7 mins (every so many steps includes nudges etc. which can be irritating) + overwrite original file (iCloud/Timemachine takes care of back ups)

I prefer to set Autosave to every 60 operations or so and cmd S when I 'feel' a slippery curve ahead.

I love the fact we are very specific and have put in much thought to our process of backup/autosave......

Every 35 operations here. Keeping 20 most recent backups. Don't like using an amount of time because you could do huge amount of work in that time or you could do nothing, so it's not a good measure.

I'm experiencing many crashes in a day as well, the stability of VW is not impressive to date. I sure hope NNA engineers are hard at work cause this is my 2nd project on this VW program and I'll just scrap it (or maybe just use it as a PDF to DWG converter)if the next service pack does not come out soon and fix this. I've been monitoring my CPU and GPU usage % and it is nowhere near being maxed out, so this leads me to believe it's just sloppy programming.

Are your video drivers up to date? VW shouldn't be crashing, it's solid as a rock on my Windows 7.

Are your video drivers up to date? VW shouldn't be crashing, it's solid as a rock on my Windows 7.

Windows 7 here, super fast computer, all up to date, cracked rock...

Hi Ray, thanks for the suggestion but all my drivers are up to date, graphics card, Bios, processor chip and windows 7. Any other suggestions?

I notice in your signature that your running VW 2011, this may be the stability difference, or are you doing mainly modeling or 2D drafting?