Why are there lines on my Plexiglas in this rendering?

Yes those lines, as well as there is another set running end to end through the holes, and one line going up and down at the center of the piece. I forgot to tell you that I did already set the viewport OIP>Foreground Render Settings to 30 degrees, and this is what I get. I also tried 100 degrees, and the errant lines are still there, but some other component edges disappear.

It was not an Artist RenderWorks rendering, it's a viewport rendering. I changed it from an extruded clipped polygon to a solid subtraction and that reduced the number of line, but did not eliminated them. There are still three vertical lines on the edge of the rounded corner of the Plexiglas guard. See the attached file.

Try drawing the 2D shape, convert it to a nurbs surface (menu Model / 3D Power Pack / Create Surface from Curves) and then use the Shell tool (3D Modeling toolset) to give it a thickness. Make sure you give the nurbs surface a fill and then as gytis suggests apply a transparent texture to it.

Edited by mike m oz

Can you detail the viewport rendering settings you are using (perhaps a screen shot of the Object Info palette)?

I think you may find you need to use a combination of foreground and background rendering settings to achieve the look you want. Creating the object as a solid subtraction (an extruded surface minus the two holes as cylinders) is half the battle. The other lines are part of how Vectorworks sees the object in wireframe. The object will need to have a solid white fill and have a transparent rendering texture assigned to it (ie. glass clear texture).

Some rendering modes don't support transparency (ie. Artistic Renderworks). It looks like you have given the object a fill of none as a workaround and now it is rendering as wireframe. The rendering mode you choose for the background rendering settings may want to support "smoothing angle" as well.

KM