Snapping stops working when editing deeply nested objects.

Bruce Kieffer

Question

I have symbols nested inside of other symbols, and solid objects nested inside other solid objects. When I go to edit them, at a certain depth of nesting object snapping does not work. It's like three or more levels in. Is there a way to make object snapping work in this situation? Is there a workaround?

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

Hmmh, I think for my imported IFC Container Objects, snapping did not

need a nesting level to fail. Or maybe there was another group in there,

so one level.

I do not know of any workaround. I collapsed the Containers ....

But that doesn't sound like a solution.

Edited by zoomer
2 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

I have symbols nested inside of other symbols, and solid objects nested inside other solid objects. When I go to edit them, at a certain depth of nesting object snapping does not work. It's like three or more levels in. Is there a way to make object snapping work in this situation? Is there a workaround?

I've noticed this too + have never really understood what was going on. Perhaps inside a Group inside a symbol in my case...? Not being able to snap to objects outside the Group? Quite annoying. I think if you can reproduce it you should file a bug on it + see what they say.

I just tired to create a simple file to send you @rDesign that would show the snapping problem. I opened a new blank file and placed a symbol that I have trouble snapping in my complex file when I drill into the symbol. No problems in the blank file, but still problems in my complex file. I don't know how to show you this problem easily. I will send you a file someday if I ever figure out how to reproduce it simply.

The only reprieve I have had from this issue and it doesn't always work is to change to wire frame.

It is like forcing an update in a viewport when trying to dimension in hidden mode and the snaps stop appearing.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, LarryO said:

The only reprieve I have had from this issue and it doesn't always work is to change to wire frame.

It is like forcing an update in a viewport when trying to dimension in hidden mode and the snaps stop appearing.

I have found the same over here

• Like 1