Question for Architects

I am building furniture specific models for a client.   Although there are probably millions of furniture pieces for sale online, not to mention VW's Library.  These pieces are simply current Wayfair and/or Bed, Bath and beyond, etc. new furniture designs

I am assuming for a home design, this is not an issue, but for larger Venues, is this a factor?

8 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Yes, it was vague, sorry about that.  

If you were/are designing a foyer for a big project, perhaps a large bank or something.  Is getting 3D models that accurately reflect new 2024 furniture models problematic?

For Vectorworks, yes problematic. For other 3d software DCCs, not so much. Not so sure how current those models will be though. Go to Turbisquid and search for IKEA. 

9 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

usually get something that feels right for renderings and then the actual pieces get specd out later, but depends on client. 

But, if it something specific, has to be, etc.  Like the picture below.  I know you can model very well, but if you can't is this a "show stopper" ,

Screenshot2024-02-17at4_24_58PM.png.4a759abede16fc7f711058f9ecbfc9e5.png

I am not an interior designer, so I use furniture architecturally. 

3d furniture in a model gives a general sense of how a room is set up or organized.  It also provides a room with elements that help provide context, scale, and a general idea for the space.  Usually, there is not enough fee in a project to specify the exact make and model.   It also takes a lot of time and effort to fully decorate a space.  Most of the time, the 3d model furniture acts as a placeholder. 

I tend to seek out furniture that appears well-designed but which is not too specific. That said, it can be challenging to find the right pieces for a project, even generically. 

If somebody replicated the Design Within Reach catalog, I'd be thrilled.   (Copyright notwithstanding.)

Edited by cberg
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

Surely the client wants a ‘feel’ of the space you’re in not a furniture brochure?

Hi Gadzooks...love that handle

This furniture does have to be specific and it is challenging.   I have already modelled the sofa above.  

But, I guess what you are all saying is this is an anomaly and not really something that would be of interest to the majority of designers.

HI Guys.

Thanks for this little chat.  I am long retired (18 years), but get bored in the winter, so I take on contracts.  This is what I am working on.  These are all VW's models that have history and can be modified extensively.  

I am not sure what the client plans after, but they may become available to the VW store......if the VW store ever becomes available.

2 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

But, if it something specific, has to be, etc.  Like the picture below.  I know you can model very well, but if you can't is this a "show stopper" ,

Screenshot2024-02-17at4_24_58PM.png.4a759abede16fc7f711058f9ecbfc9e5.png

If it has to be specific to this chair or that chair, I try to buy it first. If I can't find it I try to model it. If I can't model it, I hire someone who can:  but this would be part of the brief, so I would know that/research it/cost it before giving them a proposal. 

Would there be a market for custom chairs in VW to sell? I think that market would be relatively small. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, EAlexander said:

Would there be a market for custom chairs in VW to sell? I think that market would be relatively small. 

I think any 'store' should be about swapping things for free not selling them. Most of us can model most things, it's just what's the point in me modelling something from scratch that someone else has already modelled + that person doing the same for something I have already modelled when we could just exchange them. The pooling of resources + not reinventing the wheel. To become a member + gain access to other people's models you should be required to offer models of your own.

@VIRTUALENVIRONS are the furniture pieces in your movie actual items that exist/can be purchased (in real life) or are they imagined? It's very nice modelling of course but stylistically it's not stuff I'd personally want to use, especially if it would have to be custom-made if the client ever said 'I want one'!

There is very little furniture in the VW libraries I'm happy using either for that matter. I guess we all have different tastes.

• Like 2

When the impending VW store opens and if I am sill alive to see it, it should be extremely useful as most VW users work in a familiar paradigm.   But, it will be problematic.  The one that bothers me the most is there is nothing to stop someone from getting a nice model and uploading it to Turbo Squid for sale as a VW model with history.  That will be one of the great things of a VW store, is the models can be modified.

Although I have built models, site models, etc.  under contract, I also build them for free if someone is struggling.  If anyone asks on the forum, I would and have built models for free assuming I am not being taken advantage of. 

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

are the furniture pieces in your movie actual items that exist/

Yes Tom, they are Vectorworks models.  They are built as close to the physical pieces as possible.  It is hard to model fluffy things accurately.  The beauty of these, is that you could change a lot of things very quickly as they all have history and texture map them any way you want.

Hi Peter,

How are things "down under".  I am becoming more familiar with your part of the world.

it was not really a question about furniture in general, but the "corporate look furniture" and what Do architects/designer do when faced with having to build those pieces.  Building fluffy things and button pocketed furniture does not lend itself well to CAD systems.  

It was a Saturday afternoon question as I was building these pieces and realized the hoops my client has to go through.

Edited by VIRTUALENVIRONS
  • Like 1

This is my workflow:

I tend to reach out to manufacturers websites and try to chose products I can perhaps use within multiple projects. Usually there is a download section where you can get a 3d file, this file is made out of meshes and the format is 3DS or sketchup. Once I imported the geometry, I tend to simplify it a bit, give it some textures and to turn it into a hybrid symbol by adding 2d representation as appropriate.

If I can't find the 3d file of the object I am looking for within the manufacturer website, I will then search within sketchup or BIMobject (this one as a last resort as it keeps crushing all the time).

• Like 4