Best format for 3D import?

Usually I like STEP best. But it really depends on who generated the original file.  Depending on what programs they exported from and how they drew the objects originally, they can end up with different characteristics. Often step files will come in with textures or at least colors.  IGES and DWG almost always loose that information.

IGS is an older format but sometimes it works well.

.X_T is a Parasolid file. Parasolid is the modeling engine that VW is based on, so that is usually a good one to try also.

STEP, IGS, SAT, SKP,X_T are all usually 3D formats.  DWG, DXG, PDG, PNG are usually 2D formats.

I don't know what DAE or WRL are, but I don't think VW imports them.

Might not be same answer for every import because different softwares made the originals. Lots of that other software creates meshes, so import of any particular file may only produce hollow, (multi thousand) faceted object. Or, you might get lucky! If you internet search eg .sat vs .step the hive mind presents the origns/differences and MANY opinions. 

STEP is where I usually start. it’s a newer version of igs and can provide volumes as well as surfaces. 
DWG often meets my needs. 

the glide imports might be overly vertex heavy and might not be perfect representations anyway. Eg Mfg probably doesn’t want you reverse engineering their product. And therefore might be best as basis for modeling new ones in vwx?

-B

You would think that about the reverse engineering, but I have recently been dealing with a huge STEP import where almost every part provided not out the external surfaces that I wanted, but also all the internal parts.  The Electrical Cabinets included every nut/bolt/washer of the internal latches and the panel attachment studs.  All in full and glorious detail including radiuses screw threads. The electrical motors included the internal ball bearings (including not only the races, but each individual ball as well.)

I can think of times that I MIGHT want that detail. At least on the control panels, but 99+% of the time all I want are the exterior dimensions, mounting points, and connection points. Everything else is superfluous.

My $0.02

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Often step files will come in with textures or at least colors.  IGES and DWG almost always loose that information.

I think DWG Import in VW is pretty good.

If the DWG has Materials, VW brings them in.

(Unfortunately, VW does not export Materials by its DWG Export)

So it depends on which App originally did the DWG Export, if DWG

contains Materials or not. And if the source offers more file formats

for download, some may include certain things while other offer

other things or not.

So I usually would download or ask for all file formats that I can import

and try which works best. In the worst case I try to combine imports

or test importing by other Software too.

DAE is Collada, which usually isn't bad for 3D either.

Like my esteemed colleagues, I have had success with many of the the scenarios presented, but it takes "two to tango ".  As pointed out each exporting program is different and may not include the full scope of the export parameters.

I had a long time project where I was sent .x_t files from Solidworks.  They were exceptional.  It was the same if I had made them myself.

$0.02

Edited by VIRTUALENVIRONS

I use Solidworks because of the complex geometry in some of the stair parts. Plus I can create configurations (multiple variations IE: baluster and post lengths as well as fluted and twisted) all in one file and export them as individual parts.

I am a couple of days away from launching my updated libraries I have on my website for download. The parts library is twice the size with many productive updates like subassemblies of 8' balcony balusters for wood and patterned assemblies for metal balusters for every baluster type. That will save users a ton of time not having to place individual parts one at a time. Plus I added pre-assembled baluster sets for (3 per step) for each baluster type. Any of the parts can be exchanged within the edit symbol mode by using the "replace" button in the Object Info Pallete.

Here's a sample:

RakeSample_sm.png

BalconySample_sm.png

Sample_Balc-Metal_sm.png

Sample_MetalRakes_sm.png

Edited by mac@stairworks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

downloading CAD files of drawer slides from Blum.

This may be the way the company sets the models.  Some do this to prevent the models from being used for other purposes, resale, reengineering, etc.

I would like to look at a file you are having trouble with.  Can you post one VW 22 or older.  Just curious.  Or the site you are downloading from.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

This may be the way the company sets the models.  Some do this to prevent the models from being used for other purposes, resale, reengineering, etc.

I would like to look at a file you are having trouble with.  Can you post one VW 22 or older.  Just curious.  Or the site you are downloading from.

I'm not having trouble. I was just curious which format might be best. I'm downloading for the Blum Hardware site. I don't suggest you try there. I have been pulling my hair out for the past day trying to figure out how to get to the CAD files. It's too bad that these companies don't test there sites with users to find out how frustrating it can be.

• Like 2