Very weak graphic design of tool icons

I like the new Icons much better.

I also still need to get used to the new Icons as some changed a bit overall.

But usually, beside watching, I recognize my Icons 50% by muscle memory.

And I manually sort my Palettes and Menus in my custom Workspace.

Mainly the Basic Palette which I have heavily customized in content and

sorting order.

I have docked it at the bottom under the view window as a long row.

When I see the same Palette in the SPACEBAR HUD in standard

portrait mode, I have to watch and search for Icons too 🙂

• Like 1

For me, some are better (3D tools), some are worse, and many are just different (which doesn't help).  What's disappointing is that there doesn't seem to be a high priority for making the icon language consistent and clear, or if there was a priority that it was not successfully accomplished.

Edited by E|FA

Not a great productive experience for me either...it's the little things in a UX that make it or break it. Like this tool set pallet not having a clear horizontal division with the individual tools, my eyes are always trying to find where one section/part/group ends and another starts. Sorry but it's a fail for UX on the productivity front.

toolsetdivision.png.41ddbccfd7d21bde066fe9fc9bc9e787.png 

To not just whine, I recommend taking a look a clear UI like Modo, dark monochrome'ish  mode w/ clear separation of icons and clear highlight of active icons/modes. I also like that they give the shortcut key on icons when possible...the eye is quicker than the mouse young kitty!

modoUI.png.1155303f2b54d6dfb9bba802fc24f384.png

Edited by Patrick Fritsch
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm meh about the color change. GUI has to evolve, so as long as the style is cohesive, it's fine to me. Even with the meh feelings on the monochrome change; some of the icons are more clear as to their function I think, especially in the basic pallet. I wouldn't mind the monochrome look being an option, since it will slow some folks down so much. Good opportunity to force more of your favorite tools into your keyboard shortcut muscle memory! 😄

I am hot and cold about the total reboot of how the top ribbon works to a MUCH greater degree. Some of the UI is better, and some seems moved for the sake of starting over with no cause. The defaults also seem like they were picked by someone who doesn't use the software. Why would I need so much screen real estate persistently dedicated to font settings, for example? I still have to select the text to apply a change... so why not use the OIP; as is the syntax for 90% of other object types?

• Like 2