Add SubDivision to the default 3d Modeling Tool Set

bcd

Question

12 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Josh Loy said:

It's also a little hidden since you have to double click it to "Create Subdivision Primitive."

Why's that - why doesn't the tool icon create a new subdivision?

I don't see any benefit of the tool icon activating the edit mode, because to do that I have to first select a subdivision, and if I'm doing that it's trivial to double click on the object to get into the edit mode. I've no reason to go over to the tool palette. On the other hand, if I want to create a new subd I have to go up to a menu (and remember which menu it's under) and then find it in the list. It would save me quite a lot of hassle to just click on the icon in the tool palette instead.

Double-clicking on a tool icon seems un-intuitive - that's not how we generally interact with them. Which is why I never knew I could do that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Why's that - why doesn't the tool icon create a new subdivision?

I don't see any benefit of the tool icon activating the edit mode, because to do that I have to first select a subdivision, and if I'm doing that it's trivial to double click on the object to get into the edit mode. I've no reason to go over to the tool palette. On the other hand, if I want to create a new subd I have to go up to a menu (and remember which menu it's under) and then find it in the list. It would save me quite a lot of hassle to just click on the icon in the tool palette instead.

Double-clicking on a tool icon seems un-intuitive - that's not how we generally interact with them. Which is why I never knew I could do that.

Have you tried hovering over the wall tool and hitting ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA Select Start ?

It designs your building for you and even makes correct stairs between levels with the power of AI.

Seriously though, this is yet another reason this company needs to hire a competent UIX designer.  There are no icon ques or text hints on most of these features.

Training rarely mentions such features.  It's like you have to be a member of Service Select Secret Decoder Ring Club to become aware of this stuff...

Meh.

• Inappropriate 1
6 hours ago, line-weight said:

I don't think I realised you could do it either but at the same time, double-clicking on a tool to open a 'Create Object' dialog is a fairly common function + is well documented in Help so shouldn't have been hard to figure out

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I don't think I realised you could do it either but at the same time, double-clicking on a tool to open a 'Create Object' dialog is a fairly common function + is well documented in Help so shouldn't have been hard to figure out

But the subdivision tool presents itself as an editing tool in the palette. I'm not sure there's precedent for a tool that edits objects as result of a single click, and creates objects as result of double click.

Seems fairly obvious to me how to set it up so it behaves as most users would expect: single click on tool makes an object straight away with last-used or default settings; double click on tool to make a new object via a dialogue box with settings, double click on a subdivision object to enter editing mode.

I agree with @Jeff Prince, this is the kind of thing that demonstrates a lack of proper UX oversight.

"It's in the help documentation" shouldn't be an excuse for stuff that's difficult to find out when there's a way of making it easy to find out by implementing consistent behaviour across the application. And it's not just relevant for new users or the first use of a function - it's relevant for those of us with aging brains who might not use something like the subd tool for extended periods. When I come back to it not having used it for 3 months I shouldn't have to re-learn or remember yet another instance of idiosyncratic behaviour.