Custom Window not Cutting Wall In Plan & Model Simultaneously.

rudybeuc@gmail.com

Question

15 answers to this question

Yup , mine's a little different.

I wasn't getting a hole in the wall if a design layer other than the one the wall resided in was active. 

Flagging @Matt Panzer......

I hope this gets resolved soon...

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

41 minutes ago, E|FA said:

See these threads regarding a known bug.  If you're seeing something different, flag @Matt Panzer in your followup post.

4 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Yup , mine's a little different.

I wasn't getting a hole in the wall if a design layer other than the one the wall resided in was active. 

Flagging @Matt Panzer......

I hope this gets resolved soon...

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

It's because you've got two Walls superimposed on top of each other. You've got two windows inserted in one of the Walls + one in the other:

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_13_29.thumb.png.6913d512d2f8a1288af64ca5053f4877.png

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_13_23.thumb.png.8204c0be4fad75c54e59cab3b5619666.png

I'm not entirely sure what the intention is with the 0 height wall.

You have other walls set to O height with top offsets applied to one or more of the components:

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_16_56.thumb.png.94a1201378e7f0453b4c4c70dc30494d.png

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_17_12.png.f3c28b2cdfdcd6d49429cc8370c20793.png

Is this intentional?

You've got pairs of windows inserted over the top of each other:

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_20_47.png.35c4aba7f721aef5001fcb4e0084a34c.png

• Like 3

Wow, 

No, having overlapping walls was not intentional. I don't know where in the process that could have happened or how it happened. 

I lost a good 4 to 5 hours trying to figure out what was wrong. I had noticed the lines in the wall right at the floor plane or layer level, but figured those were artifacts of some sort. 

I'm used to another CAD/Bim software and am habituated to other object selection procedures, but I don't know how that would have created walls with 0 heights.

We'll see ow the rest of the day goes....

Thank you for your insights,

Rudy Beuc

8 hours ago, Tom W. said:

It's because you've got two Walls superimposed on top of each other. You've got two windows inserted in one of the Walls + one in the other:

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_13_29.thumb.png.6913d512d2f8a1288af64ca5053f4877.png

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_13_23.thumb.png.8204c0be4fad75c54e59cab3b5619666.png

I'm not entirely sure what the intention is with the 0 height wall.

You have other walls set to O height with top offsets applied to one or more of the components:

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_16_56.thumb.png.94a1201378e7f0453b4c4c70dc30494d.png

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_17_12.png.f3c28b2cdfdcd6d49429cc8370c20793.png

Is this intentional?

You've got pairs of windows inserted over the top of each other:

Screenshot2023-09-06at06_20_47.png.35c4aba7f721aef5001fcb4e0084a34c.png

Edited by rudybeuc@gmail.com
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@rudybeuc@gmail.com,

Looking at the file you originally posted, I see an almost identical set of walls on layer "Roof Structure First Floor" and "1-Floor Level".  It looks to me that all of the walls were copied and pasted from "1-Floor Level" to the "Roof Structure First Floor" layer.  The exterior walls on that layer are flat because they're linked to a story level that does not exist for objects on that layer.  I think deleting those walls should resolve the issues you're having.

• Like 1

Yes I've done that. And it did eliminate the problems mentioned at first.

Thing is, today VW locked up my computer and so I had to power down and start back up. Completely ruined my viewing of the coffee break today.

After doing so I noticed more objects copied in place. Even a Section Line and some Grid Lines. I thought I had eliminated all duplicates yesterday, so I suspect this is happening during the lock ups and restarts.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

8 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

@rudybeuc@gmail.com,

Looking at the file you originally posted, I see an almost identical set of walls on layer "Roof Structure First Floor" and "1-Floor Level".  It looks to me that all of the walls were copied and pasted from "1-Floor Level" to the "Roof Structure First Floor" layer.  The exterior walls on that layer are flat because they're linked to a story level that does not exist for objects on that layer.  I think deleting those walls should resolve the issues you're having.

20 minutes ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Yes I've done that. And it did eliminate the problems mentioned at first.

Thing is, today VW locked up my computer and so I had to power down and start back up. Completely ruined my viewing of the coffee break today.

After doing so I noticed more objects copied in place. Even a Section Line and some Grid Lines. I thought I had eliminated all duplicates yesterday, so I suspect this is happening during the lock ups and restarts.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Hmm... I have not heard of anything like this happening before.  I don't think it could happen while Vectorworks freezes or during a restart because the application would probably not be able to save the file in that state.  If you ever notice a series of actions that seem to cause it, please let us know and if you continue having issues with the file, it would probably be best to have Tech Support look at it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Well, it doesn't freeze exactly.

It's always been during a hidden line render in regular design layer space or in a viewport. The machine slows down, while geometry is being rerendered or whatnot. Hard drive goes to town, memory gets used up, and the machine becomes unusable.

I'll see if I can reproduce it.

OK, I see.  It still seems highly unlikely that rendering would cause objects to be duplicated.

1 hour ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Well #@$!@#%.

When I tried, I couldn't reproduce it.....

Interesting!  Hopefully that will be the last of it but, if it happens again, you may want to have someone in tech support look at the file.

Nope, had my hopes up as to that being the answer for the duplicates, but no....

image.thumb.png.c682e5388485f34fc7dbbc17f720badf.png

Thanks anyway....

Rudy

7 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

There is a preference Vectorworks Preferences:Edit to Allow Option Click in-place duplication. If you have that checked and you accidentally option click on a wall it will make a duplicate.  I always have that option turned off.

image.png.af14c62953c02bc38481248b1f3c6b3d.png