Styled Windows don't update after configuration is changed

Niels Timmer

Question

Hello,

The window tool has a very annoying bug in VW 2023. Configuration and operation settings are not updated when I edit a window style. This is how to replicate the problem:

(configuration is set to 'by style' and not 'by instance' off course)

Step 1
Draw a wall

Step 2
Place a styled window in the wall with Configuration set to Custom

Step 3
In the Custom Configuration Options dialog, edit the configuration and operations of a few sashes

Step 4
Discover that the window with the style you just edited isn't updated in the model

Step 5
Place the window from the resource manager in a new wall and see that the new window has the new configuration settings

Schermafbeelding2023-06-07om15_43_07.thumb.png.13d04cb61af3c3daa389408b2063251b.png

See attached file.

Window Tool Bug.vwx

10 answers to this question

I think I have noticed this too but wasn't sure if it had always been like this or whether it was by design or not. Basically, the 'Custom Configuration Options...' are by instance + you can't control them by style, hence not being greyed-out in the window settings:

Screenshot2023-06-07at15_27_21.thumb.png.900f991092dcb62c9c3c72e6654a0a25.png

In VW2022 it was possible to set the Custom Sash Options 'by style'. In the user interface the button looks more like it is part of the Sash or Operation setting that can be set 'by style'.

Screenshot2023-06-12at15_36_17.thumb.png.bfc47050b2d69e8744639b65e02b448d.png

Maybe Tom is right and this is by design, in that case my bug report becomes a feature request 😄

@Niels Timmer did you take this any further in the end? I am working with a custom configuration window now + there's definitely something super-fishy going on. Changes to the custom configuration settings, whether by style or by instance, are not following through to the object in the drawing. You have to delete the object then insert a new one in order to update it. You can open the object settings + the configuration shown in the settings will be as you want it but the object itself will not have those settings. Your only option is to delete it + insert a new window. @Matt Panzer have you noticed this? Can I send you a file? Thanks.

Guys - Unless I'm not really understanding this thread (shout at me if you want lol) it appears VW 2023 has gone rogue. I can control the changes I want by style or by instance(s). Any changes I make to a style are replicated throughout the model without the need to delete and replace.

Just an observation - Not many alternative opinions on this from others running 2023 so is this limited to some 'circumstance' that creates what appears to be a bug? And/or when was the last time it worked OK - backtrack a test file to earlier version?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

Guys - Unless I'm not really understanding this thread (shout at me if you want lol) it appears VW 2023 has gone rogue. I can control the changes I want by style or by instance(s). Any changes I make to a style are replicated throughout the model without the need to delete and replace.

Just an observation - Not many alternative opinions on this from others running 2023 so is this limited to some 'circumstance' that creates what appears to be a bug? And/or when was the last time it worked OK - backtrack a test file to earlier version?

I believe this is a bug that regressed from VW 2022.